May 29, 2021

American Gatherings...

Brynwood Needleworks - Primitive Gatherings "American Gatherings" Fabrics and Book

My dear, sweet Handsome drove me to Menasha yesterday morning to pick up my Wool Box at Primitive Gatherings. (My right knee is giving me enough grief that I didn't think it would be a good idea to stress it by driving myself.) Of course, Tag, Bella and Carly rode along.

I needed a few other things while I was there, so I set aside the wool colors I needed, and then grabbed a copy of Lisa's latest quilt pattern book, American Gatherings. Of course, I knew I'd need some of the fabric line, too, so I figured a couple of charm packs, a jelly roll, and a couple yards of fabric would be plenty to make a nice, patriotic lap quilt. Something that would hang nicely over the rail this summer, or be just the right size for a nap on the porch.

I needed a yard of natural colored wool, but there wasn't any in the shop, so I prepaid and Debbie (who works at the shop) promised to ship it. I decided to wait until we got home to open my Wool Box, so I could really savor the contents, so we drove home and I brought my "haul" into the house. 

When we arrived back home, I got out of the truck, I came around through the garage and saw Claudette waiting for me on the driveway. She was giving me that "Where have you been?" look. I knew what would be tumbling out of the truck into the yard behind me, so I quickly tried to shoo her toward the barn. I wasn't quick enough. She meowed, and I saw her fur rise and her eyes get big.

I turned around and the girls had seen her. The chase was on. She turned for the nearest hideout, and ran to the kitchen garden to jump into the hollyhocks (which are a veritable jungle). The dogs ran in behind her, and she came flying out the other side (fur all bushed out), and tore for the barn. By then, Tag had joined the pursuit and they were close behind her. 

She managed to make it to the barn doors and flew through the opening, leaving the dogs panting...proud of their chasing skills, and it took Handsome and me more than a few minutes to get them off her scent, and coming back to the house. After leaving their piddles behind (a gesture of "There! Take that, strange fur beast!"), we all went into the house. 
 
I went back out about fifteen minutes later to find Claudette in the loft of the barn. They wouldn't be able to get her up there. I called her down and she let me hold her for a bit. I had a little conversation with her about the wisdom and staying in the barn when she heard a vehicle. Or not. Now that she's fully aware of how fast our dogs are, perhaps she'll know to continue to stay just out of reach.

I took my purchases up to the studio and brought the Wool Box back downstairs so I could take my time going through it - only to find it was the same Wool Box I got last month! How could this be? I called and Debbie answered the shop phone. I told her she'd given me Box 14, and I though we were due for Box 15. Was I wrong?

She asked me to hold, went to the stacks of boxes behind the counter, and came back to tell me they'd stacked 14s on top of 15s. She was so apologetic, and then told me that the natural wool had been brought over from the warehouse, so she'd send my wool and Box 15 to me yet today, and I could bring Box 14 back next time I was going up there. (I told her I'd take it back next week.) So, I have my new fabrics to play with, but I'll have to wait for my Wool Box.

That's okay. Perhaps I'll be giving Claudette lessons in staying out of the hollyhocks, and heading to the wood shed when she feels the need to stretch her legs. Honestly, my heart can't take the stress of the chase. Now that she's back, I just want to keep her safe from all the predators, apparently, including at least two fast Labradors!

I'll be working on "Everlasting" this weekend. We'll see how far along I can get with it. I'll share updates next week. 
 
I hope you have a restful, reflective Memorial Weekend. I'm grateful to all who sacrificed for our freedom, and those who are currently serving. God Bless them, and God Bless America.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. That fabric is all so beautiful. Can't wait to see what you make with it.
    Poor Claudette, hope she is ok.
    I bet opening those boxes is like opening a Christmas present!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment at your home! Glad Claudette is safe. Enjoy your Memorial Day (Decoration Day) weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, there's never a lack of excitement! Those who advocate exercising seem to think that's it's good to get your heart rate up, but I don't think this was quite what they mean! Good thing Claudette is fast - and hopefully she's learned to steer well clear of the dogs. Too bad about your wool box being the wrong one, but you at least have something to continue to look forward to. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounded quite busy with the cat and the doogs when you got home :) The new fabrics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna