May 19, 2021

My "Everlasting" Signature Block...

Brynwood Needleworks - "Everlasting" House - Box 4
 
I completed another house block for the "Everlasting" quilt. This will be the signature block when the quilt is complete. 

What did I change on this block? Well, for starters, I stitched fewer panes on the windows, and then I outlined them. The pattern pieces for the house (grey) and roof were designed to sit next to each other (as opposed to overlapping), so I wanted to use a different treatment for the join on the house piece. I decided to do a more decorative chain stitch along the eaves.
 
I also chose different threads for the trees and roof, as I wanted the threads to blend, not contrast. Finally, I stitched my initials on the door.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - "Everlasting" House Box 4 & Colonial House
 
These two blocks will be placed across from each other in the finished quilt layout. I have one house (which I've modified to look like Hickory Hill Farmhouse), and a flower block left to stitch toward completing the quilt. 

Once they're finished, I'll work on the center section. I'll decide ahead of time how I'm going to change it because I don't want to have words as they appear in the pattern.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - "Everlasting" House Windows

So, when I compare these two house blocks, one has the windows outlined, while the other doesn't. Do you think I should leave them as is, or add outlines to the windows on the block on the left? Let me know in the comments, please.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. My preference would be to leave “as is”. I believe window outlines would be “too busy” against the lighter background and the decorative stitching. The house on the right has a darker color and the window outlines are more subtle so they don’t take away from other stitching. Just my opinion. All of your projects are wonderful. Do what pleases you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      That's actually the way I'm leaning, too! Thanks for your thoughtful recommendation. I really appreciate it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Love this house, so pretty.
    I think the other lock would look good with the windows outlined, it adds a lot to the piece.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks! I'll keep thinking on this. I have two blocks yet to do, so I can always come back later after I've completed them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful. Love the signature door. I do like the windows outlined as they look “set in”. This will be an heirloom Work of Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks for the feedback! I've got time to decide, and may try one window to see how it looks.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. TO answer your question - I vote for outlined too. I can't wait to see this project all together as one - it's going to be beyond amazing I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'm going to have to do at least one to see if it's an improvement.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna