May 28, 2021

Busy In The Kitchen...

Brynwood Needleworks - Yummy Cookies
 
I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday. While Wednesday was perfect weather for an outside gathering, yesterday - in typical Wisconsin fashion - the weather was many degrees cooler and raining all day.
 
It was bread making day, so as I waied for the bread to go through four proofing stages, I made a double batch of chocolate chip and hickory nut cookies. I timed it just right, because, as the last of eight dozen cookies came out of the oven, it was time for the bread to be formed into loaves.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Freshly Baked Bread and Rolls
 
I made three loaves and nine hamburger-type rolls (from the same recipe). You may notice there are only eight rolls, but shouldn't one always share a hot, fresh from the oven buttered roll with their sweetheart? I thought so, too! 

You might notice all the birds on the feeder right outside the window. We had cardinals, finches, indigo buntings, Baltimore orioles, four hummingbirds now, sparrows, chickadees, and a couple others I can't identify (yet). It was fun to watch all of them while it rained outside, and I was working inside.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Homemade Chili and Rolls

Once everything came out of the oven, Handsome helped me make up a batch of homemade chili. He cut up the beef roast, while I chopped onions and celery. I browned those ingredients in a large pot, added our home canned tomatoes from last season, and finished with commercially canned (Bush's) chili beans.
 
Everything stewed together until dinner time, when I topped the steaming hot chili with shredded cheese and a spoonful of sour cream. Of course, we each had a roll on the side. We decided this was a great day to end a rainy Wisconsin day. 

I'm running up to Menasha this morning to pick up the current Wool Box. I wonder what Lisa has in store for her subscribers this time? Can't wait  to see. It's like Christmas every two months! Once I get back home, I'll be back in the studio, working on my "Everlasting" quilt. After seeing Karen's on Wednesday, I'm inspired to finish mine now.

DonnaAcornSignature

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum!
    Those breads, rolls, & chili look so good.
    That makes me want to make chili today, it's dark & rainy again.
    Wednesday was too wonderful of a day, just perfect.
    Have fun working on your quilt!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It was still cold here today, too. I hope you made a big batch of your own. It sure hits the spot when we have cold, gray days.
      Big warm hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. oh, my goodness... everything about your post today made me just feel warm all over...from birds in the background to buttered bread with your beloved! (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks so much! I wanted to share all the wonderful things about the day - except how tired I was when it was done. It was a good tired, though. ;-)
      Wishing you a restful Memorial Weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, I can almost smell those loaves and rolls. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura:
      When I woke up this morning, it still smelled like lovely, warm bread. One of these days I'm going to try to make English muffins. They'd be nice with hot coffee or tea to start the day!
      Hugs to you and yours,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. mmmm - I can almost smell those cookies and bread too! And chili - manna from heaven on a cool rainy day. Speaking of which, guess what we woke up to this morning? Yes, the dreaded white stuff. And it's the end of MAY fer cryin' out loud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maggie:
      I'd be beside myself if we got snow this late in the spring, but we do have an overnight frost warning. ugh Warm bread and chili would definitely be on the docket for your house!
      Thanks for the note.
      Hugs!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. If I was there I would need a cookie for one hand and a slice of buttered bread for the other ! What a perfect day and your Dad was watching. (if you read stitching dreams Carol says a cardinal means dad has dropped by).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      If you were here, that's exactly what you'd have! xoxo
      I think of Dad every time I see a cardinal. Actually, all of nature reminds me of the days I spent afield with him as a kid. I just had a conversation with my youngest brother about Dad yesterday. We miss him terribly. It's been almost a year since he left us. Thanks for mentioning the cardinal and tying it to my dad. I got a little misty-eyed reading your comment. Thanks also for the lovely card you sent. I deeply appreciate it and your thoughtfulness.
      Gratefully,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. You must be loving your new island for all your baking needs. I can almost smell the wonderful aromas coming from your baking day in the kitchen. Yum to the rainy day dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      You're so right! At the end of the day, Handsome asked me how I liked my new island. I smiled and thanked him for making it possible. I couldn't love it more.
      Big hugs across the miles. I hope you have a lovely Memorial Weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna