May 20, 2021

Seems Like Just Yesterday...

Brynwood Needleworks - Crystal Kitten - Winter 2020
 
Last New Year's weekend, we were celebrating a late Christmas with our younger son and his family. We looked outside to see the Claudette had brought her two kittens onto our porch to play in the sun and snow. I took photos of the kittens, instantly smitten with this sweet girl. You see, I didn't know she was a she, but her face looked like a beautiful, little girl to me. 

She stayed around the farm with her brother (that scamp!), and her mama all winter, and I took care of all of them. Claudette went to The Home For Wayward Cats* last month, so she could safely care for her litter of kittens. Crystal and her brother, Leo stayed here. Leo has been off sowing his wild oats (again, that scamp!), but Crystal has stayed close.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Crystal - Spring 2021
 
She was the most shy of all the cats, so with Claudette away, and Leo on walkabout, I've had the opportunity to work my "Snow White" magic on Crystal. She's become friendlier and friendlier with me, and often comes running down from the wood shed when I sing my little, "Meow, Meow, Kitty, Kitty..." song to her at feeding time. It seems she feels safer in the wood shed, rather than being alone in the Compass Barn.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Crystal - Asking For Cuddles

As soon as she gets to the barn, she jumps up onto the workbench (where I feed the cats), and flops down for a massage session. It's during these sessions that I noticed she was getting bigger and bigger - and realized that LEO is the father (that bloody scamp!). Doesn't he know he's not supposed to do that with his sister?!!!
 
Well, when I realized she was in a family way, I again contacted The Home For Wayward Cats to see if they had room for this little lady. They said they were full due to kitten season, but when I pick up a newly spayed Claudette to come back to the farm, I could drop off Crystal. 
 
I was actually contacted yesterday morning to let me know that Claudette will be spayed on Friday, and I can pick her up that evening - and take Crystal to move into Claudette's previous room.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Crystal, The Mama - May 19, 2021
 
I didn't see Mrs. Katz yesterday morning, and Crystal didn't run down from the wood shed either, so after I put out their food and milk, I walked up to the wood shed to check on my little girl.
 
Anticipating that she'd be giving birth soon, I'd taken Claudette's straw-filled kennel up to the wood shed and placed it next to her favorite perch on the wood pile. I covered the vents and door with a nice, big towel so she'd be warm and secure and hoped she'd move in.
 
That's where I looked for her this morning, and sure enough, she'd made a nice, secluded nest in the back of the crate. She was in there, meowing to me, but with no interest in leaving her spot to eat or cuddle. From what I know about dogs giving birth, I know that they frequently go off their food. I assumed it's the same for cats, so I talked to her for a while and told her I'd be back later to check on her. 

When I went back mid-morning, there were four kittens - still wet - and being cared for by their mama. When I returned at 5:00 pm, there was a fifth kitten. Mama was stretched out, and when I peeked in through the kennel vents, talking softly to her, she actually rolled on her side so I could see all her babies. She had her front legs extended and she was "kneading" them and pulling them close. It was very sweet.

I'm so happy she did well, but I'm also a little sad. I know she and her babies will be safe at the rescue. They'll be placed in loving, forever homes - including Crystal, if they determine she'd be a good candidate as an indoor cat - but I've grown so fond of her. She was actually the one I fell for when I first saw her. So, it's because I love this little cat, that I'm willing to let her go to a new home. 

Being a "community cat" in the country isn't always an easy life. I've made these cats more comfortable, but it's not the same as living in a cushy home. I want that for all of them. They won't have to worry about farm machinery, too-fast cars, coyotes, or hawks and owls. They'll sleep on beds at night, and have warm places to sleep when it's cold and wintry outside. That's what I want for them.

So, I'll take her to the rescue on Friday - and bring Claudette home (she's been an outdoor cat for too long to adjust to indoor life, and if she ever got out, she'd try to make the dangerous trip back to the farm. I'll continue to take care of her here.). 

Equally sad for me, is that I'll be taking Mrs. Katz, too. I really don't think Claudette will get along with her as a newcomer, and I'm certain she was a house cat before she showed up here. She cuddles right into me when I hold her, and she's actually tried to follow me into the house, not knowing that the black dogs that chase her live inside. I want her to find a new home where she'll have all the comforts, too. It's going to be a difficult day for this caretaker, but I know I'm doing what's best for all of these sweet souls. Please tell me I'm doing the right thing.

*The Home For Wayward Cats is actually Critter Junction Pet Rescue in Fond du Lac, WI. It's a 501(c)(3) no-kill shelter. They place every single pet needing a loving home.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

18 comments:

  1. I think you are doing the right thing.
    But I am sure it is difficult to leave them... I would be like you, but they will be safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine:
      Thanks you for the affirmation. I'm so torn. I'm sure I'll cry when I leave them tomorrow.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Crystal & her babies are all too cute.
    Yes, you are doing the right hing, even though it's heartbreaking.
    They will be well taken care of, just like you are doing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      My mind says yes, I am. My heart says...well, you know. sniffle sniffle.
      I know they'll be safer and loved indoors, but I'll definitely miss them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Because you care ~~ you are giving them a better life. Difficult for you but better for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      I know we're thinking the same way on this, but I cuddled Mrs. Katz and cried tonight. She sniffed my face, and then rubbed her head on me. I think she knows I love her. Dang it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Donna, you are missing your calling. These feral cats trust you as do all the other little critters that come to visit you. To have that special bond with wildlife is special. If I had a big beautiful farm such as yours, I would open a limited animal rescue. What breaks my heart are those who are returning to their workplaces and giving up the pets they so wanted during the pandemic. WHAT A SHAME! I believe donations would come pouring in. I would be your biggest donor. Or maybe you could help the rescue you are now working with when they are overwhelmed. Nothing is difficult if you put your heart and soul into it. Saint Frances would bless you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat:
      I've thought about that, too. All those pets who are given up always breaks my heart...especially the old ones who lose their owners to death and are left with a family who doesn't want them. My BFF, Lee and I always said, when we're old women we'll open a rescue for old dogs. Every one would have a bed and soft chair to call their own. I haven't put that idea away, and your kind words will help me let Crystal, her babies, and Mrs. Katz go tomorrow.
      Thank you, my dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. You are definitely doing the right thing, difficult as it may feel. The kitties will go to good homes where they will be loved and safe and you can console yourself with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie:
      You're right, of course. Even so, I'll likely be a mess after I leave them tomorrow. I'll be busy nursing Claudette over her spaying tomorrow, too. That will help.
      Thanks again.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Yes, you are doing the right thing. My dogs love our cat, but your girls might never get there. Our indoor cat isn’t happy to be indoors, but we moved into a house near a busy road so I don’t feel comfortable with him being outside. I never intended to have a cat, but here I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      If I thought there was any chance for the dogs to settle with them, I'd insist on keeping them. Unfortunately, I just can't see that happening, so I'll, regretfully, let them go. I grew up with cats, so I'm fond of them, but Handsome actively dislikes them. (I don't get it, but that's where we are.) I'll believe that they'll be happier in nice homes.
      Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Your love for all creatures is a blessing and you are so wonderful to feed and care for all those who come to you. I think of Michelle May giving sweet Sabrina a wonderful loving home. You are doing what your heart tells you to do dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Crystal actually reminds me of sweet Sabrina! I do love every critter that comes through the farm property. Taking care of these lovely cats has been a joy. It's just so hard to let them go (even if it's for their own good).
      Thanks, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. I'm sure it is hard Donna, but you are doing the right thing. Those kitties are cute. I'm allergic to cats so I can't have them. Atleast I'm not allergic to dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri:
      I really know I am, but it's soooo hard! They're all so pretty, and gaining their trust has been so rewarding. I saw Mrs. Katz coming back to the farm this morning (she was walking along the road to the farmhouse). When I called her, she came running. I started to cry. ugh
      Thanks for confirming what I know is best - even if it's hardest.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  9. There are things we give our “barn cats” - roots and wings to fly. You’ve been a good mama. Let them fly. When they dream in their warm homes with their people to love them it will be of the good ole days in the barn. Fond memories for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlene:
      I like that. Roots and wings. I'll let them go, but I'm not going to like it. (lol) They deserve warm homes and hearts to live out their days. I'll still have Claudette here (unless she's had enough of me). It's giving up Mrs. Katz that's going to be the heartbreaker. She's a truly wonderful and affection girl. I'm going to miss her terribly.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna