January 28, 2021

Incoming...

Brynwood Needleworks - House Finches

I don't know whether or not you enjoy birdwatching, but it's become a favorite pastime of mine since we moved to the farmhouse. It doesn't matter the season, there are always beautiful, feathered friends to watch and enjoy.

I've been keeping the feeders full since the temperatures dropped and more snow fell over the past few days. The snow makes it more difficult for them to find food, so I help.

These pretty house finches usually come in pairs, but yesterday, they came in groups to eat their fill.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Taking Care of the Little Birds
 
They don't have to worry. There's plenty for everyone. I fill these two feeders near the kitchen window, and am rewarded with a closeup view of these feathered gems, but I also fill four larger feeders near the old apple tree. I trudge through sometimes deep snow so they can reserve their energy for keeping warm. 
 
While these finches were eating here, cardinals, crows, juncos, blue jays, woodpeckers, and mourning doves ate their fill at the larger feeders. (I also put peanuts in the shell over there, which are a favorite of the crows, jays, and odd squirrels).
 
I'll keep doing this until the last snowstorm of the season...usually into late March. It's my gift to them for the joy they bring to the farm.
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. We also feed the birds.
    The Jays come for their peanuts, & the Chickadees & Juncos sit on the railing waiting for their turn to get cracked corn & sunflower seeds. The cardinals love them too.
    Out front we have suet for the Downy Woodpeckers & an occasional smaller bird will try to get some. I throw bread crusts out back for the Squirrels.
    They are all a joy to watch.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marilyn:
      You're a girl after my own heart. I'm sure your little birds and squirrels are grateful for grateful for your gifts. I thank you, too.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. We had to stop feeding the birds because the seed was getting knocked to the ground which was attracting squirrels which in turn decided that snacking on hoses inside cars was a great appetizer (or perhaps dessert?). At any rate it was costing people a boat load of money to get their cars fixed so we had to stop doing anything to attract them. Now all we have is a 'log' with holes that we keep filled with suet. We don't get the variety of birds we used to but at least we still enjoy the woodpeckers, nuthatches and chickadees. The mourning doves still come but not to eat - instead they line up on our windowsill when it's really cold. I guess there's enough heat that escapes to help keep them warm. It's rather disconcerting to be in the sewing room and suddenly realize I'm being stared at and there's a dove peering in at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, MA:
      I bet that was frustrating for all the "victims". Sorry. Our doves like to spend the coldest of days in the kitchen garden because it's sheltered on two sides with a southern exposure. It's the warmest place to be when the sun is out, too. I bet you really do enjoy seeing them huddled on your window sill, though! I sure would.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna