January 16, 2021

I Danced!...

Brynwood Needleworks - Original Turtle Stool and Embroidered Cover
 
When I was a woman in my twenties, I stitched a piece exactly like this one. Not this exact one, but one just like it. I gave it away years later, and lost track of it.

One day while we were still in Florida, I came across this one in a shop and immediately purchased it. You know how nostalgia grabs you once in a while? This piece fairly demanded I bring it home. But it was in awful shape. I took the embroidery off the little turtle stool, tossed the deteriorating foam, and cleaned up the embroidery to use as a pattern. I wanted to stitch a piece of my own again. I originally wrote a blog post about it HERE.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Preparing Cover For Tracing
 
I pulled it out of the closet yesterday and began by taping the embroidery to my light box (It pays to have a husband who is a retired photographer. He gave his awesome light table to me!). I then placed paper on top to trace the design for my pattern.

Brynwood Needleworks - Cover Secured To My Lightbox

This is my tracing in progress.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Tracing In Progress
 
I'll keep the original embroidery handy for reference, so I marked the embroidery and the templace with a "v" so I can keep the orientation correct.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Design Transferred To Linen
 
I used my wax marker to transfer the design onto the linen. This will just iron away and disappear if I have any marks showing after I'm finish stitching.

Brynwood Needleworks - Linen Mounted Onto Scroll Frames
 
I was getting ready to choose my colors, when I had the idea to embroider the design onto my linen fabric using only white thread instead. 

Brynwood Needleworks - Embroidery Has Begun

Of course, I had to start working on it right away, so before my day was finished, I was needle dancing...and smiling. I'm really looking forward to doing the embroideries on this piece. I'll be personalizing the designs with my own specialty stitches. 

I may not mount it back on the turtle stool...or I may paint the turtle stool first...or I may make it into a pillow...I just don't know. I do know I can wait to decide. For now, all I have to do is blissfully embroider and enjoy every moment.

DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute.
    Glad you are re-doing it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'm thinking about maybe sanding and then staining the turtle stool a light gray. I'll decide after I finish my stitching.
      Have a nice weekend.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. How lovely. I can just see the new needlework on the little stool under glass. It would look lovely on a table with a pot or ornament on it.. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura:
      Now, there's an idea! I'll have to play around and see if it'll work. Thanks!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Beautiful idea and beautiful work. It's going to be awesome for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh - this is going to be so pretty! I love the idea of keeping it on the stool, but I think I would paint the stool first - perhaps white to accompany the white stitching? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks! I was thinking white paint, or sand down to re-stain a light gray. I'll play with this after I finish my embroidery.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna