December 21, 2020

Making Popcorn...

Brynwood Needleworks - Crochet Popcorn!
 
You aren't going to believe what I was doing this weekend! Well, okay. I guess the pictures might be giving it away - or if you follow me on Facebook, you'll already know I'm kind of addicted to this. I'm crocheting popcorn!!

Brynwood Needleworks - Crochet Popcorn Detail
 
I happened upon this while grazing around in the crafting groups, so I went on the hunt for instructions. I found a pattern, and a video tutorial. While I have no issues reading knitting patterns, I admit I've been a visual learner from the start, where crochet is concerned. If you're like me, HERE is the link to the video tutorial I used. 

I've already ordered 8mm red, wood beads that I'll be using as spacers to create next year's crochet popcorn garlands.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Holding Crochet Popcorn

I'm holding a couple in my hand so you can get an idea of their size. I used worsted weight cotton yarn called Sugar 'n Cream in white. I purchased worsted weight wool, but I didn't feel that they held their shape as well, so I went back to the Sugar 'n Cream.

I think the best thing about this project (aside from the fact that they really do look like popcorn) is that it's something I can pickup up any time, and I can work on it from now until next year to add something really wonderful to our Christmas tree when I'm finished.

If you're a crochet afficionado, I hope you'll give it a try and let me know what you think. I can't wait to get the beads, and have enough popcorn to start making my first garland! You know I'll show you when I get to that stage!

I got a few other things done over the weekend, but this week Handsome and I will be preparing the last of our gifts. I'm going to be baking, and Handsome is making his last minute purchases and preparations, too. Are you ready yet, or do you still have more to do?
 
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. OMG! It looks so real!
    I'll have to try that, thanks for the link.
    We don't do a lot of gifts anymore.
    Mostly cookies for friends & relatives.
    We did buy ourselves a new computer desk & put it together the other day.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the popcorn, too, Marilyn! They really are fun to make, and I can't wait to start the first garland when I have enough (and my beads).
      Our Christmas is going to be "less" this year, too. We want to focus on what's important, and will look forward to a bigger celebration next year.
      Merry Christmas Week!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see the popcorn with the beads - should look amazing. If I weren't seriously trying to downsize our decorating I would be making this too. Trying to to decide if our kids would want some for their trees....hmmmm.......
    After today there's nothing more happening about Christmas here - we're making a 4 hour drive to do a porch drop off to our #1 son and his family. Ontario is entering a 4 week full lockdown as of the end of the week so we'll all be staying home (which we planned to do anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MA:
      I'm sorry that you won't be able to celebrate with family this year. Those lockdowns really take their toll. I'm looking forward to a normal year next year. People are at their limit around here.

      I'll share photos of my garland as soon as I receive the beads to begin assembly.
      Merry Christmas Week!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Love this popcorn string idea. Thank you for sharing the info link. Looks like a great Winter project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, dear Sherry. I'm so enjoying making them!
      Merry Christmas to you and yours.
      Hugs across the miles.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna