September 7, 2019

Making Tomato Bruschetta...

Brynwood Needleworks - Tomato Bruschetta Ingredients

I've been busy in the kitchen, making a new favorite...Tomato Bruschetta. It's fresh-tasting, colorful, and delicious! I found the recipe on the Ball Canning website HERE. Now, understand, if you're not a canner, there's nothing to keep you from making up a batch of this and serving it to your family, or keeping it in the refrigerator to enjoy later.

The recipe is really simple. There are only nine ingredients: (not shown: white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, water and 2 T. white sugar), dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio), white wine vinegar, garlic cloves, basil, oregano, and tomatoes.

Brynwood Needleworks - One Batch of Tomato Bruschetta

The most time consuming part is simply peeling and chopping the fresh tomatoes. Mix the other ingredients together and bring to a boil, keeping hot as you pack the sterilized jars, top the tomatoes with the liquid mix, seal jars according to best practice and water bath process for twenty minutes (adding time for altitude - I process for 25).

I let it sit for about five minutes in the uncovered canner after the processing time to avoid siphoning, and so far haven't had that happen to any of my jars. (I've made four batches so far, with at least two more to go.) This will make for tasty gifts when placed in a basket with a pair of beautiful napkins, a loaf of French bread, and a wedge of fresh Parmesan cheese. (You might want to add a bottle of your favorite dry white wine, too. I chose Dark Horse Pinot.)

To serve: I thinly slice a baguette, brush with olive oil, and place in a 375° oven until it starts to crisp. Remove and top with the tomato bruschetta and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Return to oven until the cheese has melted and the tomato mixture is hot. Serve. 

Brynwood Needleworks - Home Canned Goods To Date (9/6/2019)

I thought I'd share a picture of our pantry as of yesterday. I have a couple other things to make (which I'll share later), as you can see I still have space!

Top Shelf (l-r): Dill pickles, bread & butter pickles, sweet onion relish, zucchini pepper relish, chopped and stewed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and salsa.
Middle Shelf (l-r): Strawberry/rhubarb pie filling, applesauce, strawberry/rhubarb jam, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, crabapple jelly, lemon balm jelly, lemon basil jelly, lavender jelly, lilac jelly, ground cherry jam.
Bottom Shelf (l-r): More applesauce, apple pie filling, pickled beets, pears, stewed rhubarb, pickled banana peppers, Mexican carrots (a gift from daughter-in-law #2), tomato bruschetta.

Brynwood Needleworks - Day's End At The Farmhouse

Late yesterday, I went out into the yard to put the newly-purchased plants into the ground. Except for the white mums, which I'll leave flanking the porch stairs for a little while longer. I didn't plant the yellow flowers on the right yet either, because I'm waiting until Monday when the gravel is replaced with black dirt in this area.
The skies were dark all day, but late day, the sun peeked through under the clouds, as it was setting. I had to just stop and look at it for a while. It was so beautiful. Shortly after, the sun was back behind the clouds, and then gone for the night.
Handsome and Bella stopped in Oklahoma last night, and they're planning to be home by tomorrow...earlier than I originally thought. That's great news. We'll start the new week together again. I know he's anxious to see the porch for himself, too. squeee!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. A full pantry is such a blessing and you should be very proud of your canning skills. Hickory Hill Farmhouse is looking magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a pantry full of home-canned-foods.

    It's on my bucket list. Looks divine!

    <3Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I linger on the patio a bit with chilled dark horse in my glass, can I shop in your pantry?!!! You two have made this farmhouse amazing. I am sure she is feeling in her glory with the pantry full and her fresh manicure outside. Handsome will be breathless when he turns up the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! I,too, live on a farm and love the openness and quietness of farm living. Your porch says "Welcome"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna