September 16, 2017

Jellies and Jams...

Hickory Hill Farm Lavender

Yesterday was a "make Lavender Jelly" day. I harvested lavender flowers before the sunlight was directly over these perfect, little flowers.

Friday's Harvest

I didn't need many, and when I brought them into the house, they filled the kitchen with a wonderful aroma.

Lavender Flowers Detail

 Perfect, tiny flowers.

Lavender Jelly On Toast

By 10:30 am, all the jars were in the canner, processing. I scraped the last of the jelly from the pot, and sat down for a late breakfast...Lavender Jelly on toast, of course!

Lavender Jelly

Before I could finish my tasty breakfast, the timer went off and I pulled the jars of Lavender Jelly out of the bubbling water. I tried to combine food coloring to get the jelly to be more lavender, but even though blue and red make purple, it didn't turn out as I planned. I'll try again next time. Thankfully, color had no effect on the taste of this jelly. It's heavenly!

Strawberry Jam

I also made six half-pints of Strawberry Jam...

Sweet Basil Jelly


and four half-pints, plus three "smalls" of Sweet Basil Jelly. I think this will be if for canning basil this season. I'm going to let the rest of the plant go to seed now.

Pantry Shelves
 
My pantry is filling nicely. Top Shelf: Regular Dill Pickles; and canned Sweet Banana Peppers. Second Shelf: Bread & Butter Pickles, Salsa, and Chopped Tomatoes. Bottom Row: Sweet Basil Jelly, Strawberry Jam, Lavender Jelly, Strawberry-Rhubarb and Pears in Light Syrup.

I'm going to the Farmer's Market with Aunty Margaret and Uncle Dick today. If I find Roma tomatoes, I'll be bringing them home to can this weekend. Otherwise, I'm going to be making aprons in the studio! 
 
Enjoy your weekend, my friend. I sure will.

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. I'm always paranoid to can anything. Any tips? Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmers Wife comes to mind while I am seeing all of your beautiful canned jars in the pantry. Hickory Hill Farmers Wife...<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna