August 3, 2017

The Hills Are Alive...

Group One - Sandhill Cranes

We've had a "resident" group of sandhill cranes that have been around since spring. There are a few fields where they're frequently seen in the neighborhood, including the one on the other side of the treeline in front of our farmhouse. There are thirteen in this group.

Group Two - Sandhill Cranes

Sunday that field was cut, and it was harvested yesterday. There must be something they like out there, because the Gang of Thirteen has invited guests to join them. The first group woke me up around six yesterday morning. More arrived throughout the day.

Group Three - Sandhill Cranes and Canada Geese

They also brought a small flock of Canada geese with them. There was a pair that hung out with the "gang", but there were a half dozen or so in the group yesterday.

Leaving The Hayfield - Sandhill Cranes
 
I headed outside and stood near the treeline to take photos. I was surprised to count over thirty cranes, eating, calling, and hopping around. 
 
The sentries for the cranes and the geese weren't happy to see me, either. They alerted the rest of the flock, and they all noisily took to the skies. It really was a sight to see, and I'm sure they'll be back again to make sure I don't oversleep.
 

I'm taking a little road trip with my girlfriend, Kathy D. today. We're going to Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam. I haven't been there in a long time, and I'm looking for a specific foot for my differential feed attachment for my Babylock machine. (Nancy's is a Babylock dealer.) We'll spend the morning together, share a meal, and then head back home. 
 
I've also got a side trip afterward to pick up a 'Build A Box" of produce from Produce With Purpose. It's a farm close to home that sells the most wonderful fruits and vegetables (and more). I have plans in the kitchen for the weekend, and I'll tell you about it tomorrow.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. I think your life has been enriched to infinity living here at Hickory Hill Farm. The sights and sounds and discovery (my 2017 word) are Priceless. Have a wonderful day of discovery with your friend. Is Nancy's Notions Nancy Zieman? She is amazing from all I see and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something new every day! we get Canadian Geese in late August and during September, when the fields are harvested - they are heading south and it's a reminder that summer is coming to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful summer of memories Donna.Enjoy my friend.xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna