August 26, 2017

Girls Day...

Granddaughters One and Two, and Their Beautiful Mama

Our granddaughters and their mama (our younger daughter-in-law) came to visit yesterday. We'd planned to have a movie day, watching Guardians of the Galaxy and hanging out together.

When they got here, they helped me pick pears first. Then, their mama suggested an impromptu canning session together. We were all on board. I went downstairs and got jars and the canner. Then, we sat down to peel pears, chat and share stories while we worked.

Granddaughter #2 was in charge of the bowl into which we put the cut-up pears. She made sure they all got covered with lemon/lime water so they wouldn't turn brown. Our daughter-in-law and I peeled the fruit, and Granddaughter #1 said that if we didn't get them canned quickly enough (while she nibbled), she'd eat them all first.

Canned Hickory Hill Farm Pears

By mid-afternoon, we had jars filled with gorgeous, delicious fruit. This was my first foray into canning pears, but there are many more pears on the tree (and in my rack in the kitchen), so I'm confident now that I can put up the rest of this year's bounty. Although, we are planning another get together in the near future.

When the girls left, I sent them home with jars of pickles, some homemade lotion, and jars of canned pears. Then, I went upstairs and finished my sewing project...

A Birthday Gift
 
It's all finished and wrapped. This is a traveler bag - perfect for an overnight - and it's a Birthday gift for our elder daughter-in-law. We'll see her today so we can give it to her. I hope she likes it!
 
This was actually a quick sew for me, so there will be more in my future. Christmas is just around the corner (eeeeekk!), after all.
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. It is great that you have such bounty on your property.
    I see so many people take advantage of farmers market too, but here they are very expensive!
    I'd love to can, but end up just watching other people do it.
    The jars are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day to spend quality time together and do something so amazing as picking pears and canning them. I love the group effort and now you each will have memories forever. PRICELESS!!! P.S. I see four very beautiful ladies in your first photo. Love the overnight bag and what a great gift it will be. You look so very happy my friend...<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time for you all...building memories is always a plus! Long ago, I canned...such a rewarding process! Love the bag!!! Will you be offering those in your shop at some point? Like, within the next few weeks? ~grin~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Afternoon, Donna,
    It is great to see your granddaughters and daughter-in-law. There's nothing better than spending time with family. I hope this finds you well. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna