July 26, 2015

Working Out The Kinks...

Moda™ Water Garden fabric assortment on the grid base - on my ironing board
On Saturday, I showed you the fabrics I'll be using for our guild challenge. I know exactly what I want to make, but I need to make a miniature version first. I want to make sure that the basic design works.
Of course, I don't want to use the actual fabric I'm using for the finished piece. (I've learned that lesson the hard way!) Instead, I pulled out a Moda™ Honey Bun (1-1/2" strips of all the fabrics in the line...like a Jelly Roll, but narrower strips), and my Pellon™ Fusible Grid (820P) and got busy. The fabric is from my stash, and it's called "Water Garden". Don't you love the dragonflies?

The way this works is that I cut my 1-1/2" strips into 1-1/2" squares. Then, I played around, placing the squares in a pleasing pattern on the bumpy, fusible side of the 1" grid sections. I had to be careful not to iron past the fabrics so I didn't get fusible goop on my iron. (Success!)
Once everything is fused, all I had to do was fold each line of fabrics and sew until I'd sewn all the widths of squares, and then sew them lengthwise. I ended up with sweet, little 1" blocks.
Look at all those tidy intersections! That's the benefit of using the fusible grid. Everything stays put and there's no distortion. I love this stuff!
 
Next step is quilting, and then I'll start cutting. (Did I say "cutting"?!! Yes, I did!) You're starting to get curious now, aren't you? (giggle)
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Curiouser than all get out, here. Whatever it will be, promises to be great! Looking forward to watching this all unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I already love the blue dragonflies...just like we have at our pond. This tiny 1" squares of fabric is beautiful! Cut?!?! Yes, I am very curious to see what you are creating. High on Life July...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Donna I am on the edge of my seat waiting, I may not sleep tonight....what are you creating? Ok, I'll be up very early pondering over this 'til your blog appears. I know one thing for sure, you'll have something wonderful completed! Blessings, Marcy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna