May 15, 2014

In Answer To Your Question...

  The last time you saw this photograph (in this post), I got a question from one 
of my online friends. I couldn't answer her directly, but as I also teach this to
my students - and others might like to know - I thought I'd reply publicly.

This was the comment suz posted:
"this looks like it is going to be a lovely project. I am curious though...
this is the 2nd time I've seen embroidery set into a hoop like this. I've 
always placed my work over an "inside" hoop and then placed the "outside 
rim over the fabric and "inside" hoop. Why do you set it up like this? 
Doesn't the hoop get in the way?  I'd love to know the advantages to this 
and/or if I've been doing it the wrong way all these years. Your work is 
beautiful, so there must be an important reason for this. thanks "
 
First. Thanks, suz for your comment and question. Yes,  I do hoop 
this way on purpose. It doesn't mean you've been doing it wrong.
Instead, I prefer to say that perhaps you could do it differently.
 
Whether I a hoop or scroll frame, I always mount it so that what will 
become the front of the piece is nestled down inside. That way, I will 
always handle the back of the fabric when I'm stitching, rather than the
front side. You're right that it sometimes gets in the way of my being
able to stitch, but I just re-hoop the piece so I can keep on working.
 
Even though many of my pieces will be washed after I'm finished 
(especially counted thread pieces), I want to do everything possible to 
avoid soiling the front of it. Mounting the fabric this way is one
simple thing I can do. Another is to never (ever) snack while I stitch.
(Food residue on your hands is the easiest way to soil your fabric.)

Natural hand oils can soil your needlework, too, so I frequently wash 
my hands, and avoid hand creams (except Neutrogena Norwegian 
Formula hand cream, which is pH balanced and non-greasy.) If you're 
like me and concentrate on creating beautiful, heirloom-quality pieces, 
these steps will help give your pieces the best chance for a longer life.

I hope this answers your question, suz. You (or anyone else) can always
send me a direct email anytime you see something you'd like to know
more about. Please include your return email so I can write back.
Thanks again!

I'm working on the Headstart quilts today. Playtime for me.
Happy Friday. I hope you get to play, too!
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I always hoop my cross stitch the same way you do, Donna but for a different reason. I find I'm able to snip my threads that much closer on the back. I also appreciate the cleanliness factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's another great reason, Mini. I guess I appreciated that without identifying it as another benefit! Thanks for sharing.
    xo
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too noticed your hoop inside instead of outside. I just knew you had a really good reason and yes, you do. I shall need to try this method. Thank you Suz for asking and thank you Donna for answering. Creative Stitching Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your reasoning for hooping that way. I may have to try this to keep my projects clean. I too never snack and always wash my hands before stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna