July 3, 2009

Remembering Independence Day...

This year, I will take time to again thank our founding fathers for the foresight they had in crafting our Declaration of Independence. No matter how much our country swings left or right, the framers of the Declaration gave us a document that would set limits on elected officials who travel to Washington to represent us.

Those founding fathers risked their lives in service to our country two hundred and thirty three years ago, and subsequent generations have sent their young men and women to war to defend the liberties that make our country so great. We need to remember our country is great because of our people and not our politicians. Our people always remember that we are a great nation founded on great principles. Our people always ultimately do the right thing.

My father enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. This is his service photograph from 1952. He first met my mother while posted in Great Britain.

After graduation from high school in 1975, my brother enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served in the Persian Gulf on the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Nimitz. I remember more than a few anxious hours while he was away.

Our family was lucky to have our loved ones return home. Not all families are so fortunate.

This Independence Day, enjoy the picnics and fireworks, but take time to remember the men and women who bravely serve our country every day around the world. Please offer prayers to our God asking for healing for the families who have lost loved ones in the most ultimate sacrifice.

Next time you see a service man or woman, stop to thank them for their efforts and sacrifices that allow us to speak our minds freely, sleep soundly in our beds at night, and live without fear in the best country in the world. No matter how you look at American politics these days...the United States is the most magnificent country in the world.

God Bless America
JoySignatureBROWNSM
For a little Independence Day fun, click on the Blue Angels photo on the right to see the Muppets (one of our favorites) with a July 4th musical performance for you!
The first photograph is a Sarasota Herald-Tribune image of a 25' tall statue called "Unconditional Surrender". It is the work of sculptor Seward Johnson and stands on the bay front in Sarasota, FL. It's a pretty incredible sight to drive around the harbor and come "face to face" with this huge kissing couple. Many of us hope that it will remain there for the enjoyment of all.
The last photograph was taken at the Charlotte County Air Show this spring. I took this image of the Blue Angels during their performance that weekend.

3 comments:

  1. As a Naturalized citizen, I am so Proud to be called an American,I came to this country as a young bride with nothing but love in my heart and a world full of dreams.Never once have I regretted my decision to come here, I AM AN AMERICAN through and through, England is and will always be the cherished land of my birth,but with my husband and six children, sixteen grandchildren and five or six great grand babies, this has been mine home since 1956, I will be returning to England and family who are left there,but I will be returning HOME on the 21st of August, God willing.This is a wonderful place and I hope everyone who kknows and loves it will today take time to thank God Almighty for watching over us all and our brave soldiers who have fought and are still fighting for this freedom we so enjoy, My thoughts and prayers are with the familes who's loved one gave the supreme sacrifice,may God richly bless them ALL and bring them peace.God Bless America....YBN

    ReplyDelete
  2. pelican knits.. susanJuly 5, 2009 at 7:18 AM

    I love the statue too and hope it remains.. a note to "mumsy".. what a fabulous daughter you have. she has been an inspiration to me.. more than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan, Thank you for your kind words about my eldest daughter. When one has these babies, one is never sure how they'll 'turn' out, this one does me proud, I am so happy she has so many wonderful friends there in Florida, you being one her 'special' ones. Again thank you for you very kind words, with which I totally agree....much love, Mumsy...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna