June 15, 2009

Beautiful Images & Tiny Inspirations...

I spent yesterday looking through some of my collections and images and thought you might like to see and learn about one of my favorite sets. I have three complete collections of cigarette cards. No, I don't smoke, but I found and purchased these sets about ten years ago. I smile every time I look at them.

Cigarette cards were little card premiums (like baseball cards in the 50s) that were included in packs of cigarettes. They were collected, much like S & H Green Stamps, with the exception that they were not redeemed for other merchandise. They were the end goal. They were printed from the early to mid-1900s. Flowers were not the only theme. There were dog sets, golf sets and war sets just to name a few.

There are fifty cards in each of my sets, and each set is different. One set is represented here. This Wildflower set was issued by Gallaher Ltd. in the 1930s. Another set, Garden Flowers is also from Gallaher Ltd. and they are equally beautiful from the same time frame. My third set is Flower Culture in Pots from Wills' Cigarette Company. All of my sets are British, making them that much more special to me. (Have I told you that my mum and I were both born in England? Another story for another time.)

These cards measure approximately 1.5" x 3", so they are lovely, diminutive works of art. There is an image of the flower and its name on the front, and information about that specific plant is on the reverse of the card. Just looking at them is like walking through my own private garden. The best part is that there is no weeding involved. (I know I've told you that I am not the talented gardner that my mum is!) How many of us actually like weeding, anyway? It's not like I'm alone in this regard, so don't look at me that tone of voice!

So, now you've seen my beautiful garden. Don't be surprised if you see them again in a future post. After all, I do have a reason for bringing them out. You'll see soon enough...
JoySignatureBROWNSM
P.S. Don't forget to join my "Followers" list and send me an email so you can participate in my ATC Swap! Be sure to read the guidelines on my ATC Swap Post. This is the link (just click on this sentence).

4 comments:

  1. Those cigarettes cards are very pricey now. We have had them when buying auction box lots ... they are really pretty. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I recently went back to my source and purchased two more sets which are on their way, but I paid more for them this time than I did last time.

    Thanks for visiting!
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love miniature art. It just feels nice, the way a dollhouse just feels nice.

    Love you,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna