September 7, 2022

Progress On My Cardinals...

 
I thought you might like to see the progress I'm making on my cardinals project (Winter Song). I think I told you that I was going to pick out all the stitching I did on the crest to redo it all with a single thread instead of two. I'm so glad I did! There's so much more detail this way.

 
When I started again, I decided to begin with the eye and then work out from there. I'm very happy with the progress so far. The lighter and darker threads are for contrast in those areas, and you can see how I work around or over them for a shading effect.  
 
I worked on it over the weekend, and then on Monday and Tuesday, so I'd guess I have about thirty hours in it so far. (That's not counting when I frogged the original stitching.) I'll be back at it again today. Now that I'm into it, it's hard to walk away. Plus, there's that end-of-September deadline to consider.
 
I decided I won't be doing the two craft shows in October and November this year. I have another surgery scheduled for early October. It will limit my endurance and ability to lift anything over twelve pounds for a while, so there's that. I've decided to work to restock my shop with new items, and I can work on those here at home. I'm still working on my own website, but man, that's a real time consumer, and there's so much else I'd rather be doing. It's on hold for now.
 
Rather than think of such things at this point, I'm just going to concentrate on this project. It makes me happy, and I don't want to feel pressured toward the end of the month. I'll avoid that by working to stay ahead of schedule instead of getting behind. I'll share more photos in a few days.
 

8 comments:

  1. Mr. Cardinal is so, so beautiful, great job.
    The Jays & Cardinals here are molting.
    Mr. doesn't have his peak at all, & Mrs. has 2 little spikes for her peak.
    I know it's normal, but they look so pitiful.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks so much! They sure do look pitiful when they molt. Getting ready for winter, I guess.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. It seems you've had to make some hard (yet wisely made) decisions... the frogging and extra hours were worth it as the cardinal does look even better than before. And I hope you will be blessed with a less stressful pace and a very successful website this fall! As well as a successful surgery and complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      You're right. I really thought about it before I took out what I'd already done, but I agree. In the end it's worth it. I'm having a lot of fun now, but won't hesitate to remove areas if I think they're subpar. Surgery isn't until mid-October, so I've got plenty of time to complete this and get a few other things done. Thanks for your good wishes.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I think frogging was the right decision even though it's now taking you a lot longer to complete. Sometimes we just have to do what makes us happy. It's looking wonderful so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks. I hoped my rework would really be an improvement - and would be readily apparent. I'm on a roll now!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Your Cardinal is beautiful. Your frogging was genius as the new stitching and color varies is much preferred. Best to save your energy for your upcoming surgery. Prayers and Healing Surgery My Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sherry. I think that removing that head work and restitching was worth it. I'm taking it easy, even though I'm doing the canning on other days. Two efforts with high "satisfaction" yields! My surgery is near the beginning of week two in October. Hoping this is the last. I'm soooo over it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna