September 8, 2022

Friday Cardinal Update...


Well, this is how Mr. Dapper Cardinal looked when I finally put down my needles on Thursday evening. I've completed his body, and will now focus on his wing detail, and then his tail feathers. 

The grey on the wing will be the "under" feathering. I have more to do in that section, and then I'll do the fine shaping and shading with the other colors I've chosen for the flight feathers. Of course, if I get it stitched and don't like how it's looking, I can always frog those and try again. 

The felt on the wing wasn't meant to cover the entire wing, but to lift it up in the area where I've anchored it. I may decide to take out the grey, add more padding in that segment, and then do the cover stitching. I'm going to review that and make a decision after breakfast. 


I watched the breaking news of the death of Queen Elizabeth II as it was announced. A great sadness filled my heart as I stitched. The longest reign by a British monarch has come to an end. England is the land of my birth, and I was saddened by her passing. I'm sure there will be much coverage in the coming days, as Her Royal Highness is laid to rest, and then her son is crowned. 

I'm not as happy about that prospect as I would have been if it were Prince William, rather than his father ascending to the throne. I know I'm not the only family member who feels that way. Even so, it's what Queen Elizabeth wanted, and it's been decided. I'll pray for my homeland as they make this transition.


I'm also baking scones today. Tomorrow is Craft Day in Portage, and we're having a tea party afterward. I promised to bring scones to contribute to the party. I'm even going to wear a dress and one of my fun hats! Photos on Monday should be really fun. I can't wait to share them with you.

Saturday will be a cardinal update, and then Sunday Scripture. I'll be back Monday with the fun party and crafty photos for you.

Happy Weekend!
(already)

8 comments:

  1. He's so beautiful.
    It's very sad about the Queen.
    Have fun in Portage today!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thank you! Yes. It is sad about the Queen. She lived a wonderful, long life, but she was such a fixture in British lives that we all expected she might live forever. I found myself profoundly sad watching the tributes to her yesterday. I'm looking forward to a day with my girlfriends. Photos to come on Monday. Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. He's incredible!
    Yes, it's sad about the Queen but she has earned her rest. Charles may surprise us and turn into a great monarch. We'll have to wait and see on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thank you! I agree. It's sad, but now she can rest, indeed. It would be wonderful if Charles can become a good king. I'm sure the world will be watching to see. Enjoy your weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: I too am saddened by the Queen’s death. She has earned her rest in heaven. Your Cardinal is beyond stunning. I hope the grey underfeathers work out as they are. A day of play and tea party with friends is a wonderful way to end another week that has flown by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I was so sad yesterday as I watched the church service (while I was working in the kitchen). All the cathedral music and angelic voices had me reduced to tears. I'm ready for a day of fun. I'm so glad you like my progress on the cardinal. I'll play with threads again on Sunday. Happy Weekend! I hope it's cooling down for you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Laurajane. The cardinal is a beautiful piece of work ,bright and cheerful.Very sad we lost our beloved Queen, she’s earned her place in heaven.King Charles will be a good king.He has always served his country and has carried out a lot of work.People are blindsided by the Dianna years .Camilla is very loyal and hard working too.They will serve us well.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Laurajane:
      Thank for so much! I share your deep sadness. I know feel as we do. I pray for Charles, and hope that he and Camilla will be monarchs worthy of walking in Her Majesty's footsteps. Although she wasn't a large woman, I know her shoes will be difficult to fill. I watched his speech yesterday and his words moved me to tears. Especially when he echoed his mother's words from the beginning of her reign, dedicating herself to the lifelong service of the British Empire. Thank you for your perspective. God Bless the Queen and her heirs. May she rest in peace knowing the realm is safe if her absence.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna