September 3, 2022

Gonna Have To Face It...

 
I'm addicted to this. I said I was going to stitch yesterday, but I had to run to Sam's Club to return a Fitbit Luxe I purchased last week. I loved it, but the darn thing wouldn't take a charge. I decided to continue wearing the Charge 2 I have (even though it's a bit larger), and just get a refund.

While I was at there, though, I decided to take a little tour through their meat section. I saw chicken thighs at a ridiculous price. As I'd been reading all about raw canning meats, I came across using thighs or legs (bone in), and that I could even add seasonings, I bought two packages, amounting to about twelve pounds of meat.
 
 
 
$1.38 per pound for chicken thighs! I had to skin and remove the extra fat, but the bones were allowed. I put up the five wide-mouth pint jars with the Mexican seasoning (one package), and then canned the rest without seasoning. (My cookbook even had recipes for spice blends for chicken, as well as for other meats.)

 
This package yielded two quarts, plus one wide-mouth pint of chicken with only water. As the chicken cooked in the pressure canner, it also created a lovely broth that I can choose to use when it's time to consume the meat. Of course, I'll remove the bones, too, but this could be used to make a chicken noodle soup this fall, or perhaps used in a casserole or white chicken chili. The possibilities will be endless. I do think it's pretty cool, though, that spending less than $17 was turned into six or seven meals for two. All I'll have to do is add the sides. That's a win in my book.
 
I really am going to stitch today. My long-time friend, Laura is coming to visit today, and we'll get caught up over a cup of tea. Then, I plan to spend the rest of the holiday weekend needle dancing. I intend to have some progress photographs to share when we visit again after the holiday.

Happy Labor Day Weekend.
Stay safe!




 

6 comments:

  1. Great deal, for sure!
    Have fun today with your friend, & have a nice weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn:
      We had a wonderful visit. Enjoy your weekend, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You certainly got a deal! I'm going to be interested in hearing about how you like the chicken when you eat it.
    Just found a recipe to make an onion/garlic savoury jam so now on a quest for some jars thinking that there might be some Christmas 'shares' in the offing if it's good.
    Oh, and while in a store the other day we noticed a combination pressure canner/instant pot - is that what you got or just a pressure canner? I didn't realize they could combine them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I've made the onion garlic jam before. Our son loved it. I served it over cream cheese with crackers. I canned it in 4 oz. jars to give that Christmas, too! The pressure canner I got is the 23 qt. Presto Model 01781. It's a combination pressure canner/cooker, but it's quite large to use as a cooker. The 16 qt. would be better for that. I'm sure the instant pot combo would be fine. It just won't hold as many jars. Let me know what you decide!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: How glorious your pantry is with so much delicious foods for winter or anytime. Enjoy your days and stay safe with the Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      We tried a jar of the canned corn tonight with our roast chicken and mashed potatoes dinner. It tasted like it was fresh off the cob! I'm so stoked with this whole pressure canning process. It's become a really fun project!
      Happy Labor Day Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna