November 18, 2021

Well, That's More Like It!...

Feeling Better, Thanks!

The first thing I did yesterday morning was call my machine tech and ask if he had any insight into why my Jane might be giving me grief (without having to drive an hour away for him to look at her). After running through a short list - and me offering to text a few photos of the offending section of her undercarriage - he asked me if I had more than one bobbin for this machine. When I told him I did, he suggested I rethread the machine, insert a different bobbin, and see if that took care of the issue.

Guess what? It did! I admit, it never occurred to me that the bobbin might be the issue. With that being said, we were back off to the races. All the Nocturnes were finished by mid-afternoon. I spent the rest of the day cleaning up the studio and working on my list (which I admit has been shortened).

I'm so glad I had Kenny to help out in the meantime. It's amazing how a person can get so used to small amenities...like a knee lift and "reverse" bar on a machine. I kept trying to lift Kenny's presser foot with a non-existent knee lift. I giggled every time. Even so, if it weren't for Kenny, I would have lost a lot of time and sewing would have come to a halt.

I'll be making Kirby Crossbody and a few Ensemble Bags today. We'll see how much I'm able to accomplish. I need to get creative, as I'm running short on a few hardware pieces I use. What next?!

I think those who've suggested I need a spa day when this is all done might be right. I can tell you I'm sleeping like a log at night. I'm out nearly as soon as my head hits the pillow. 

Sooooo, coffee first. Studio for the rest of the day. It's a good thing I have a comfy sewing chair! Photos tomorrow. Have a great day!

12 comments:

  1. Glad your machine problem was an easy fix.
    Who would've though it was just a bobbin?
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I know. I'm still trying to figure out how the bobbin, in the bobbin case, fed thread the way it was supposed to, but when I inserted the assembly into the machine, it didn't. At least I know to check that first, if there's a next time. (I tossed that bobbin in the trash right away so it didn't end up back in the rotation.)
      Thanks for your note, dear. Stay warm!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That's great that it was such a small fix and how brilliant of your tech guy to suggest it. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I was extremely happy that I didn't have to drive an hour to find it out, too! I was so relieved to have her fixed. Funny how I rely on this machine.
      Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You never know what will cause a machine to be finicky! I would have never considered the bobbin. Glad you are back up and running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      And this one isn't really an overly computerized one either! I kept checking the bobbin, but couldn't figure that it was okay for feeding thread outside the machine, but not inside the machine. Guess that's why I don't get the big bucks. lol
      I'm sure glad to be running again for now. I'll take the machine to the tech for a good cleaning after the show.
      Thanks for the note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. So good that you got your machine fixed. Isn't it strange when a big problem can be solved so easy! You have really been busy creating beautiful items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marit:
      Thank you, dear. Jane sure had me flummoxed. I'll be sure to share photos of my show booth on Monday so you can see what it looked like. My sister is coming from MN on Monday so I can help her lay out a few quilts for her grandchildren (she's a relatively new quilter), but then I'm going to take a nice rest for a few days.
      I appreciate hearing from you.
      Happy Weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I am glad Kenney came to the rescue. I have my 8th grade sewing class Sears Kenmore machine. Still goes like a champ but very basic. Miss my fancy machine a lot but she’s in a good home and she brought good finances to the checkbook when they were needed after my major heart ordeal. Someday I’ll have another machine again. Girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      You have to email a picture of your Kenmore to me!!! I love seeing old machines. Of course, it still goes like a champ. Those vintage machines were built to last. I have two vintage Kenmores, and Kenny is one of them. The other is a Model 54. They are real back breakers to lift! I think Kenny's earned his own table, which I'm going to work on next week. I actually think that it might not be a bad idea to get a modern Janome treadle machine and case. You know...in case the grid goes down in the middle of a project. Then, I remember this darn knee. Getting old really isn't for sissies. We'll catch up again soon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Those small little bobbins…if plastic…can really cause distress. One little nick or chip or burr can really mess with our machines. How do I know? Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      You're so right! These were metal, which surprised me even more. I was practically standing on my head to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I never even considered that small bobbin. I'll know better next time (which I hope doesn't happen again)! I'll be taking Jane to the spa after Thanksgiving weekend. She's earned it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna