November 3, 2021

An Incredible Journey...

Crystal Returned!
When Crystal and her beautiful litter of kittens left here last spring, I really never imagined I'd see her again. I dreamed of each of her babies living in new homes, and the mama living in the lap of luxury in her forever home. 

So, you can imagine my shock and awe when I went out to feed Claudette yesterday morning. I heard another "meow" coming from outside the Compass Barn, which I thought was a vocal Leo. Claudette and I both looked toward the sound, only to realize that his sister, little Crystal, was making her presence known.

She marched straight to the table where I fed her as a kitten, and where I petted and cuddled her enough to consider her tame enough to be adopted. She rubbed up against me, making lots of noise, as she pushed her way to the food dishes. She was skinny (her hip bones were showing) and hungry! (Let me add, Claudette was not happy to see her daughter again.)

I went back into the house, knowing that Handsome was not going to be happy with this new development either. I had to explain that Crystal was back, and I had no idea how it happened. I needed to contact the shelter for more insight.

I got a return for my call after 4 pm. I first asked whether or not they had found a new home for Crystal. (They had.) Then, I asked if they had clipped her ear. (They had, because they weren't sure whether or not she would end up a "community cat".) Then, I asked whether or not they'd heard from the adopters, saying their cat was missing. (They hadn't.) Finally, I told her Crystal was back in our barn. She was as shocked as I was! I asked, without wanting specifics, which area Crystal had moved to, and was told that she was placed in my hometown...no less than twelve miles away!

I was told that Crystal was also microchipped, so if there was any doubt, we could scan her to be sure she's "my" cat. I told her I had no doubt that this was Claudette's daughter, and told her what this little cat must have encountered (avoided) to get back to our property. There is highway construction between town and us, as the state builds out a two-lane highway to a four-lane highway. It's highly traveled, and too many animals face this highway and don't survive. In the past week, the coyote packs have been active and vocal. I took Tag out a few nights ago, and their barking started within 50 yards of us. I couldn't shoo him inside quickly enough. The weather has been less than hospitable lately, too.

It's been cold, raining, and dangerous, yet the homing instinct of this small cat motivated her through all of that to come back. I imagined all her vocalizing was her attempt to tell me all about her trip. I told the lady I've been dealing with at the shelter that I am most curious to know when Crystal went missing and just how long she's been on the road.

My contact will be away from the shelter now until Thursday. She's going to contact the adopters to get the answers to some of our questions. She told me they adopted her with the understanding that Crystal was to be an "indoor only" cat, so she must have escaped, but she was wondering why they hadn't called her to say that their cat had run off. 

Last of all, she said they'd take Crystal back to try to rehome her, but she had a huge concern. Usually it's the male cats who will travel greater distances to return to their familiar grounds (usually a few miles), but she was shocked that not only did Crystal travel more than a few miles - she traversed at least twelve miles to get back here. That's a strong homing instinct for a male or female, and she thinks that Crystal would always try to get back here, and perhaps the outcome wouldn't be so positive. She could be harmed (or worse) next time.

I took Crystal and her babies to the shelter initially because I wanted them all to be in warm, dry, and loving homes, rather than the rougher life of a feral cat. Claudette stayed here because I knew she was imprinted on our neighbors' and our properties. I thought I'd tamed Crystal to the point that she'd be happy elsewhere. Boy, was I wrong.

I promised Handsome that there would only be one cat here. Now there are two...at least for the next few days. I don't know how I can send her away again, knowing that if she gets out, she'll try to come back to me. I've got a real dilemma on my hands. I'll have to pray on this one.


14 comments:

  1. What an amazing story about how she found her way back to you.
    I hope they can get her back to the owners, and I hope they accept her back.
    She's so pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      We've been thinking the same thing. I'll know more about her future after tomorrow. I suspect she'll have to stay here because of her strong drive to return. I think she's a beautiful cat, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That’s a hard decision. God has the plan, just as he did for Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      I couldn't agree more. How to keep Handsome happy, while doing what's best for Crystal. sigh I'm tired just thinking about it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. What an amazing story! Sounds like she has chosen her home and her person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I'm afraid you're right. (smiling)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and amazing story...we have our plan and God has His plan! What an incredible and lasting impression you made on Crystal for her to travel so far and through so many hurdles to get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda:
      I firmly believe God makes the calls, and we need to listen. She's a beautiful, little cat, and I sure don't want anything bad to happen to her. I'm keeping that all in mind right now. Thanks for your note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Reading this reminded me of a book I read back in the 60's called 'The Incredible Journey' by Sheila Burnford. Amazing story of three animals that traveled over 400 miles to get home. Crystal obviously has that same homing instinct which is pretty amazing.
    I wonder if the new owners simply didn't think to report her being missing to the shelter - will have to wait and see for the whole story on that I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      That book has come to my mind, too. Thankfully, she didn't have to trek more than 12 miles to get back here. I'm most curious about when she disappeared to learn how long this trip took her. Her strong homing instinct is likely what will keep her here. I'll learn more about her adopters sometime tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, that is The Incredible Journey! I worked with a fellow years ago that had moved about 15 miles or so from his old house, taking his cat with him and his wife. That cat knew their old house as home and attempted to make the journey back - unfortunately, his journey was not successful. He was found along the road, almost straight as a crow flies along the path half-way back to his old house. Hopefully you can sort through all the details and they can get Crystal permanently re-settled in a safe home where they won't allow jail breaks. So glad she made it back to you safely. Crazy cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I'd heard that cats bond to their "home ground", but this was the first I'd been exposed to it. I need to make the best decision to keep her safe, whether it's here or elsewhere, but I'm getting the vibe from the shelter that they'd prefer for her to stay here. I'm leaning that way, too, but Handsome has to agree before it's settled.
      "Crazy cat" is right!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. oh my heart is praying for little Crystal. She is so beautiful and what a journey she has had to get back to her loving home. Donna Dear I believe she needs to be with you. Claudette will just have to share. Handsome just couldn’t throw Crystal back…

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna