July 28, 2018

Fulfilling Friday...

#shotoniphone6plus
 
When I first got up yesterday, the temperature outside was hovering around 59º. (Great sleeping weather!) I went out to check on the garden, and found this fuzzy bumblebee snoozing in one of my hollyhock blooms. There it remained until the sun came around to warm the garden, and then I imagine the bumblebee flew off to go about its daily chores.

I mowed the yard today, as Handsome has been under the weather this week. There are a lot of blossoms in the yard (clover, Queen Anne's Lace, chickory, bird's foot trefoil, and others) so I left our high yard (on the hill above the house) mostly unmowed. It was full of bees and butterflies, so I decided they can enjoy the flowers until the buds are spent.

We've also been short on rain for more weeks than the grass likes, so we've been holding off on mowing to help the grass. The wildflowers can thrive in drought conditions, but the grass needed a break from the weekly mowing. The yard looks much better now, and the colorful flowers are welcome, plus the colors provided by the butterflies they are feeding.

Orange Juice Applesauce From Our Farm
 
In the process of mowing the yard, I picked up all the windfall apples under our very old apple tree. Many of the apples had already been chewed on by bugs, but there were also a basket full of unblemished fruits.

I brought them into the house, cleaned them, cut them up, and tossed them in the slow cooker. I added a fruit preservative so they wouldn't brown, and let them cook for a couple of hours. When they were soft, I put everything through Handsome's mom's - now my - antique chinoise. 

After milling out the fruit, which separates the skin, seeds, etc., I heated the mixture, added a small amount of sugar and Ceylon cinnamon. In the end, the mixture yielded one quart and one pint of tasty applesauce.

Handsome and I finished the day by trying a new-to-us restaurant in our own town. From the first to last person working there, we were treated to friendly, Midwest hospitality and fine food. We'll definitely return. On our way out, we ran into old friends who go there every Friday! I'm sure we'll see them again, too.

Today, my BFF, Lee and I are going to the farmer's market in West Bend, WI to see what they're offering this week. I'm looking for more garlic scapes and raspberries (for jam). I'm looking forward to our outing!

I'm going to be stitching on my silk butterfly, too. Now that I'm silk thread instead of cotton floss, it's going slower (one strand, as opposed to two when I was working on the practice piece). I'm not in a hurry, but I would like to move right along on this. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. (Patience, Donna. Patience. sigh)
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. My you do accomplish so much in your day. Your descriptions are wonderful and I can actually see the bees annd butterflies enjoying the wildflowers amongst the grass. That applesauce looks delicious and the work involved in making it will taste even sweeter when you eat it. Healing Energy for Handsome. Comfort Food, Good Friends and Living the Dream...Priceless <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna