July 26, 2013

Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation Exhibit...

There is a new exhibit at Buckingham Palace featuring the garments and gems
worn by Queen Elizabeth II for her coronation in 1953. The exhibit will be open
from July 27 until September 29, 2013. This will be a stunning display!
Embroiderers from the Royal School of Needlework expended over 3500 hours
creating the robe which the Queen wore to travel from the Westminster Abbey to
Buckingham Palace. The pictures of the gown take my breath away. I can only
imagine how much more stunning it must be when seen in the same room.
In addition to all the embroidered pieces, the exhibit will include the Diamond Diadem
(the name of the crown), which was previously worn by King George IV for his 1821
coronation. There are other gems on display, including some as large as pigeon's eggs!

If you'd like to read an entire article about the exhibit, you can click here. I'll have
to imagine how beautiful everything will be. I so wish I could be there in person.
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. We are going to be there in Sept and had planned to go to Buckingham House so our timing is perfect to also see the exhibit - so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pictures. You are just like ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing this exquisite dress in person would be wonderful...however for now it is ever so nice to see it here as you share it. Thank you dear. Oh to be a student embroiderer of the Royal School of Needlework...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see it too. I remember, as a very little girl, watching the Queen open the Canadian parliament. She wore her coronation gown and set, in my child's mind forever more, just what a Queen should look like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna