July 18, 2013

It Was My Own Darn Fault...

 This "club" on the end of my ring finger looks worse than it really is.
Let me tell you what happened. It was all my own darn fault.
   I got these scraps at last month's guild meeting and I decided to cut them to make 
another Headstart quilt. I used my triangle ruler to first make sure that the long line 
was straight. Then, I cut one triangle, a square (using my small square ruler at the top 
of the picture) and finally the second triangle. I figured to add the same elements in a 
coordinating fabric to assemble into a cute, little quilt for one of the boys or girl.

The telephone rang and I started a conversation with one of my favorite people. My Aunt
and I were having a lovely chat, so I thought I'd just cut a few more blocks before getting 
ready to go to my monthly guild meeting. I lined up my ruler to cut that long line. I held
my ruler steady and ran the rotary cutter up the line...right.across.the.tip.of.my.finger.

It wasn't much. I only skinned about a silly millimeter off the end. I knew right away, 
and stuck my finger in my mouth. I told Auntie I had to run because I cut my finger. I 
went to the kitchen, tried to run water over it, but sweet mother, did it hurt! I grabbed 
a paper towel, pressed it on the wound, grabbed my purse and kenneled Tag. I was 
heading to the emergency room.  Just as I was walking out of the house, the phone 
rang. It was Handsome. I told him where I was going and he said he'd meet me there. 
I drove into town - holding my injured hand up - and was in an ER room in no time.

I was right. They couldn't do stitches. Instead, they have this material soaked in a
coagulant that sticks to the skin and stops the bleeding. It will eventually dissolve
as my finger heals. The stuff stings, so I got a really nice "relaxer" shot to ease the
pain. Three hours later, I was bandaged and riding home with my sweet husband.
I tried to negotiate going to the guild meeting but that shot killed those plans, too.

After he tucked me into bed, he and our neighbor went back to the ER to pick 
up my vehicle. I slept away the night - and part of the morning - and awakened 
feeling much better. Only thing is that this finger is really interesting to Taggart, 
who wants to try to chew on it. Also, it's annoyingly kind of in the way...on my 
writing hand. I guess I should consider myself lucky I didn't do more damage, but 
I'm most upset that I'm not wearing my wedding rings for the first time in almost 
thirty years. The nurse made me take them off in case my finger swelled up. I'm 
going to be "bare-fingered" until the bandage comes off in a couple of days in 
favor of a smaller one. Lesson learned. FOCUS when rotary cutting!

Don't worry. I'll soon be good as new and it doesn't hurt now while I grow new skin. 
Yup. It was my own darn fault.
DonnaAcornSignature

18 comments:

  1. ouch.... that made my toes curl. I hope you repair quickly and as you say pay attention when cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO! Sending healing powers your way. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tsk, Tsk. So glad it wasn't a sewing machine needle. I'm sure that would have hurt a lot more, although maybe not so much blood, not to mention interesting trying to extricate one's finger from the sewing machine! I hope you didn't bleed on too much of your fabric. Heal well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...thank goodness it wasn't worse, though it does look pretty bad! Hope it heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well soon! That sounds really painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! I hope that you heal quickly. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Donna........I've got chills. Hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Multi-tasking with any sharp object in the hand can be very dangerous to anyone's health! Hope you heal quickly and are feeling better. At least Tag is entertained! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch!! I'm sorry that happened to you Donna, it sounds so painful! Here's to a fast healing, and you'll be quilting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was afraid that was what had happened!! OUCH! I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hope you heal quickly.
    Keep it above your ♥ to reduce/prevent swelling.

    I'm being extra careful today, thanks to you, as I cut double jelly roll strips into 2.5" sections. Fun Christmas quilt in the works.

    Healing Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  11. this made me have sympathy pains for you...hope you heal quickly and are back to stitching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Dear Donna. That looks really painful. I do hope it heals rapidly and completely. How did you miss your others fingers yet cut the ring finger? I think I shall heed your warning to focus and pay attention when I am rotary cutting. Tag just wants to help you heal. I understand that dog saliva is full of healing properties. ;o)
    Healing Energy Hugs Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless your heart! I'm sorry that happened. I'm praying you heal quickly! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that's a big, old bummer! I've accidently trimmed a finger nail but not a finger, thank God. I really try to snap the guard on wen not in use. I've heard too many horrow stories. I hope your finger is on the road to speedy healing and Dearest Tag keeps his doggy distance :o)
    Have a better day,
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know exactly how you feel , did something very similar around Christmas time making pillow cases for my students! Never did go to the emergency room but it curtailed my sewing for a for a few weeks. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness me! Ouch! Hope it all heals well.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. That hurts just reading about it! I hope you are healing up good and taking it easy! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my goodness! I sure hope your finger is feeling better. Blessings for a speedy recovery. I can understand your concern over not wearing your rings. I had not removed my wedding rings in over 10 years and my knuckles have enlarged (age). They had to be cut off my finger early this summer. The finger had to 'rest' for a couple of weeks, and THEN be resized. I felt naked without my rings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna