January 28, 2013

Tuesdays With Tag - About Gnomes...

 Hi, Everybody!
Today I have a literary and information post to share with you.
 I'm going to tell you about one of Mom's favorite books.
Mom told me all about it last weekend and they're pretty interesting.
 The original book is on the right and it's called "Gnomes".
The book on the left is called "The Gnomes Book of Christmas Crafts",
but I'm not going to tell you about that one this time.
 Mom has had "Gnomes" since 1979...waaaayyy before I was born.
It's like realllyyy ancient!
It was written by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet made all the pictures.
 It says in this book that man gnomes weigh about 300 grams. 
Mom said that's just over 10 ounces. That's not very much.
Heck. I weigh 32 pounds!
Lady gnomes weigh a little less.
 Mom told me that all gnomes love and care for animals. They help 
injured creatures, and even feed and care for abandoned babies.
I bet they'd let me help!

I know I'm a fairy dog, but gnomes are kind and sturdy
 like me, so I'm just positive that we'd be good friends, too!
 Most gnomes live in Sweden, but this map has red areas to show where you 
can find gnomes in North America. Apparently, they don't like tropical areas, 
because I don't see a single red spot in Florida, but there are lots of spots up north! 
Mom said it's not uncommon to have one cross your path if you're hiking in 
the woods or taking a walk in a wide open field! Just follow the animal tracks.
 The book tells about other magical creatures, too, because sometimes
gnomes are confused with other magical beings. There are pictures of elves 
(which remind me of fairies), but there are also goblins, dwarfs, and more!
 Elves are not mean, but they can be mischevious and are highly intelligent.
I wonder if they'd get along with my fairy friends or if they ever have parties together?
Goblins are mean and everyone should avoid them. I know that gnomes sure do!
 Then, there are uldras and trolls. Thankfully, uldras are few 'cuz they're
the worst! Trolls, on the other hand are much more abundant.
This is what the book said about them:
"Stupid, primitive, distrustful and unbelievably ugly creatures...
They often keep boxes full of stolen money and jewels, with which
they play for hours, running their fingers through them."

The book says most of them live across the ocean in Russia, Norway and
a few other Scandinavian countries, but Mom swears that she's also 
seen them outside their natural habitat, in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
She promised to make sure that we never cross paths with nasty trolls!
Mom also read parts of the book to me that told about what gnomes like to
do for recreation. They like to make pottery, weave baskets and make
cloth. They weave their own blankets, sew clothes, build their own houses
and rely on each other to create just about everything they need to live!
They're kind and enterprising little people. I'd love to make friends with some.

I know Mom said they don't live in Florida, but I'm gonna keep on the lookout
 for them, just in case. Maybe a couple will come from Sweden to Florida to visit?

You can just figure I'll sniff around every little tree stump to see if I can find any
 sign of them at all. and when we go to Wisconsin, I bet Mom will be able to find
 a couple and introduce me to them. I want the gnomes to know that they have
 a friend in one of the fairy kind...me! So, I'll be on the alert to find one or two.
'til then...
"More Waggin' and Less Barkin'!"

11 comments:

  1. Hi Tag
    I bought this book for my daughter when she was tiny. She played at being a gnome lady for years after. The book must still be here, somewhere. Must look for it. I never saw the Christmas one, though. Thanks for showing it.
    Happy tail wagging,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tag! My daughter, Jenny loves gnomes too just like you Mom!! She has a whole little collection. I will have to check into this book for Christmas this year or maybe one that is similar. Thanks for sharing with us and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tag! I am certain there would be gnomes traveling from Sweden to Florida...after all they own "Travelocity" and visit all kinds of places. You and the gnomes would get along fabulously and have so much fun as they are "close to the ground" just like you. Keep watching and I think you will see some. Thanks for the book report. Happy Tail Waggin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. DANG! Why didn't I think of "TRAVELOCITY"???
    Thanks, Sherry @ Createology
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tag for reminding me that a copy of that book is on my shelf I have enjoyed reading it in the past and its time to enjoy it again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, oh my! Those little legs, those EARS! I almost fell off my chair laughing at the second photo-wonderful post!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tag, you are the smartest corgi I know! I hope you get to meet a gnome someday! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairies and gnomes are special beings...when I was a child I used to read books only about magic,fairies and gnomes.

    Usha
    usharaneem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post and must get that book! Sherry's Travelocity comment made me laugh!
    Tag you look most handsome sitting at Mom's table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing at the thought of Tag coming across a little creature in the yard. Henry would run away, Sophie would bark at it and Bruce would pick it up and bring it to me proudly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have the same book! Its AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna