March 31, 2023

Sissy's Studio...

 
I promised I share photos from my visit with my youngest sister with you, so here goes. She's an artist in mixed media, which definitely shines through in a tour of her studio. Jan's business is on Facebook and Instagram as Handmade Treasures by Jan, which you can find HERE.

 
Entering into her studio is a bit like mine...a trip down the rabbit hole, but you can definitely tell the difference in the types of treasures you'll find inside. I love all her antique and reclaimed furniture pieces, too!

Work tables are placed back to back in the center of the room, and the perimeter is brimming with ephemera. paints, pens and other media onto which she plies her craft. It may look overwhelming to some, but to her, everything has a place and everything is in its place.

You'll find pullouts holding a wide variety (but not all) of her paints and sprays, drawers with packaging and inspiration, and notes of things on her To Do list.

 
This is her Unity shelf containing most of her stamps, and cutters from Unity Stamp Company. She's one of their creators, as she does weekly mini classes using their products. Most classes are free, with the option to purchase supplies from her, or her larger projects are held in private, online groups accessible after paying your class and/or kit fee.

 
This area of her studio is the table where she usually sets up for her demos. She has places for her cameras, lamps and pens. She brings all her class materials here to have conveniently at hand as she teaches.

There was so much more to see. She creates handcrafted journals, and has regular drawings to give away her artwork to group members, so if you'd like to check her out, click on the link in my first paragraph. She also has a self-improvement/inspiration group called Treasure Trove of Gratitude which offers a daily inspiration via a live video on Facebook every morning. You can check out that group HERE. Seriously, it's a great way to start your day, and I'm frequently there to hear what she has to say.

She is - as of this month - a published contributor to Strawberry Moon magazine, and as soon as my copy arrives, I'll definitely share it with you. Her article shares how art can be a vehicle for self-care. It's not really enough for me to say how proud I am of her. I love that we can share our love of all things handcrafted, and I enjoy the time we can spend together working on our creations. She's just now beginning to teach herself to sew, but she knows I'm here to lend a hand when she needs it. I'm really enjoying watching her grow her business, and sharing her gifts with others. Did I mention she's my sister?

I hope you've enjoyed this quick tour of Jan's studio, and I hope you'll visit (and maybe join) her Facebook groups. On top of all her talent, she's a beautiful soul and I think you'd enjoy the time you spend with her. I sure do!

We've got weather (again) today, so I'm going to have my morning cuppa and get some things done indoors. Happy Friday, friends!

11 comments:

  1. I love Jan's creative space & all the goodies in it.
    She's very talented, like her sister. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It was fun to visit with her and tour her space with my blog friends. She is talented, indeed. I love watching her work, and have enjoyed her creations immensely. I'm glad you could see her studio, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Obviously you have both inherited a creative gene! I'd love to spend time in both your studios because I know it would be hard not to feel inspired with all the creative goodness that surrounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      We've definitely cultivated our strengths, my friend. Too bad you're not closer. I would be fun to spend time together, for sure!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Gosh, there’s a LOT in that room…LOL! Thank you for the wonderful write-up, Donna. So very kind of you. ☺️
    Art…it trickles through our veins and flows through our soul. I’m sure it’s thanks to Dad, and his influences.
    Can’t think of one thing that I would change, except to add more hours to the day so that I could “play” longer in my wonderful, artsy space.
    Much love, sister xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JJ- Just remember the camera adds ten pounds. lol I think that works for photographs of our creative spaces, too. I think you're right about Dad. He shared many of his gifts with his kids.
      Love you more, kid.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. A slice of heaven. And Treasure Trove is wonderful. The creative talent between the two of you is just endless and we never know what great surprise will be next. So heartwarming to see how
    close the two of you are. Thank you for sharing this fabulous space.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Jan has cultivated a nice following on Facebook, and her classes are fun, too. I'm grateful for being back in Wisconsin so we can spend more time together. It's definitely a shorter drive! I'm glad I could share her studio with you. Once I'm finished organizing the new studio here, I'll share my photos, too.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I especially love all her antique pieces. They work perfectly for storing her supplies. Thanks for leaving a note, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Sherry of createology; I am in awe of Jan’s Studio with all of its ephemera and goodies for creating. I will definitely follow her on FB. Thank you for sharing this Donna.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna