January 17, 2022

Possum Socks...

They're Finished!
As I write this post, I'm doing a happy dance in my finished socks! I completed my possum blend socks on Sunday (finally!), and immediately put them on.

Before I show me wearing them, I want to clarify something I needed to learn, too, about the critter that contributed to the composition of my yarn.

On the left of the image above is the North American Opossum - the only North American native marsupial. I have watched and fed them on our property since the first winter we owned the farmhouse. These are nocturnal and beneficial, eating up to 5,000 ticks each per season. They rarely carry rabies because of their low body temperature. They carry their babies in pouches, much like kangaroos, and they're docile - even though they look fierce when they're cornered. They'd sooner "play possum" than attempt to harm a dog, cat or human. I love them.

The New Zealand Possum on the right, is "A native of Australia, the southern hemispere possum is an introduced pest to NZ that destroys native wildlife, endangered birds, forests & spreads disease to livestock.  Heavy culling is required to keep possum numbers under control." (The copy in quotes is from the Skeinz website that produced this yarn.) The two skeins I received were a gift from my long-time friend, Marrianne, who lives in New Zealand. 

Now that I've cleared that up, I know you want to see my new socks!

They're A Perfect Fit!
As soon as I completed tucking in the tails from beginning and ending these socks, I slipped them on. They were a perfect fit.
I Love Them!
The yarn is a blend of wool, alpaca, nylon, and possum. The combination makes for a perfect sock yarn. They're so soft and warm...and I love the color.  Can you tell I love them? Squeeeee! I'm also very happy to be finished.

Handsome thought they were nice, too. I thought he'd be asking for a pair of socks, but rather, he asked me to make a warm winter cap for him. I have just the yarn and will share more later this week. For now, I'm going to enjoy this finish.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your sock finish.
    They look nice & warm.
    Possums get a bum rap, I think they are cute.
    They don't really bother anyone.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your socks. It appears the New Zealand Possum could use a better propaganda department 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be doing a happy dance in those socks! They look so cozy and warm. You're inspiring me to cast on for a new pair of socks - perhaps for adding to the Christmas box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These socks look pretty! I heard that possum wool is way warmer than cashmere - i guess you won't have cold feets this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Your socks are super cute and very cozy looking. I have learned so much from you about Opossums and I can truly appreciate our Northern Hemisphere ones more now. Happy Dancing Dear…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those toes certainly look nice and toasty. The possum hair is apparently hollow which makes it a good insulator - the reason why it is so warm. You will probably find that the hair blooms as you wash and wear them. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna