September 22, 2018

Stormy Day Activities...

A View From Our Farmhouse © 2018 DLiljegren

We awoke to a wildly windy day, with clouds dancing across the sky. Every once in a while, the sun would peek through, giving us a glimmer of what the day could be. Then, just as quickly, it would dart behind the clouds and it would rain. By mid-morning, the rain stopped, but the wind continued. It was a perfect day to work inside.

Handsome and I spent part of that time vacuuming and tidying up the attic, and then we both moved downstairs to the kitchen. Canning was on the agenda, as there were grapes and pears that could wait no longer.

Friday's Canning Output
 
I cleaned the grapes, and then separated the skins from the pulp so I could make up the jam from the grapes I got on Thursday. I'm calling the finished product "Grafton Grape Jam" to honor where I picked the grapes. One larger jar shall be set aside for the generous folks who shared their fruit.

I also cleaned all the pears that were sitting in the basement. They let me know that they could wait no longer. The were all fully ripe, and as I cut them, quite juicy. They were all small fruit, so I wasn't going to be able to just cut them up. I decided instead to make Pear Butter (actually like a thick applesauce in consistency). I added grated orange zest and nutmeg to the mix as it cooked, and ended up with five pints of the tasty butter.

Dinner was also ready (thanks to my LeCrueset roaster) by the time we finished canning. Good thing, too. By the time everything was cooked and canned, the kitchen cleaned, and everything put away, Handsome and I were more than ready to sit down, enjoy dinner, and then put our feet up to relax. It was a perfectly productive and wonderfully tiring day.

I'm going to spend some time with my little sister and nephew today, so I'll leave you with wishes for a superb weekend. I'll be back tomorrow with my weekly Sunday Scripture. Until tomorrow...

DonnaAcornSignature

0 friends clicked here to leave a note for me:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna