November 27, 2017

Cookie Cutters, Old and New...

Vintage Cookie Cutters

I'm going to a Cookie Exchange my niece is hosting next weekend.

I need to make six dozen cookies, and apparently they choose best tasting and I'm not sure what else. Knowing my personality, I guess you already know that I won't just make a simple drop cookie for this party.

I pulled out my tin of vintage cookie cutters, and a box filled with newer ones. The tin of vintage cookie cutters belonged to my mother-in-law, Evelyn. There were trees, santas, stars, hearts, and even a set of card suits to make cookies for bridge night!

New vs. Old

Then, I opened up my storage box for all the various newer cutters I've purchased over the years, including a corgi cookie cutter from Tasha Tudor's online store! I couldn't help but notice how cookie sizes have changed over the years. It surely demonstrates how McDonalds isn't the only place you can find something "super sized"! 

The pink-edged, heart shaped cutter is a newer one, and the two hearts on the right were Evelyn's. The new one is about three times the size of the old ones! Kind of explains how clothing sizes have upsized, too!
 
Supersized Cookies
 
These cookies would be as large as my hand! While that's nice. I'm surely not going to make six dozen in this size! (I'm not making the hearts either.) I'll show you what I chose after I make and decorate them.
 
Today is our elder son and daughter-in-law's 24th wedding anniversary! 
I'll see them later today. There's dinner and a concert in my immediate future.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
May you celebrate many more together.
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Cookies? As in Cookie Monster voice! I love cookies and six dozen is quite a few even for me. Wonderful vintage cookie cutters you have. Yes...America certainly does super-size. Waiting to see what you create...<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to make some little gingerbread houses this year and I too went through my cookie cutters. I had the same thoughts when I looked at my aunt's vintage cookie cutters. They are tiny by today's standards, but I think I may make a return to those when I do sugar cookies later this season.
    Can't wait to see what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Girlfriend, we have the same cookie cutters! I have the tree with the green handle, as well as the bridge set, both from my mom. I have more with the handles, some are wooden handles! Santa, holly leaf, star, and reindeer. We used to make them with the kids every Christmas season. Great memories, and something to hand along to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna