November 29, 2017

In Case You Wondered...

Advent Wreath In Process

Frequently, when I post pictures of my finished work, be it canning, needlework or something else here at the farm, someone invariably comments that they don't know how I get so much done.

Truth is, most times, I work in fits and starts. I accomplish things in a flurry of activity, and then I have to rest and kick start again. Sometimes, I just sit in a chair and read or do needlework.

Yesterday was one of those days. Monday afternoon I drove to the Milwaukee area to go to a music concert with our elder daughter-in-law. We went to St. Paul's Episcopal Church to see a performance by Milwaukee Symphony's Concertmaster, Frank Almond and four of his musician friends.

It was a magical evening, and in some ways ushered in the Christmas season for me. I only wish Handsome could have been there with us. He would have loved the music.

Tag and I stayed overnight with our elder son, his wife and our grandson (and their black lab, Duncan). Tag had a ball while we were gone, and the guys had a football banquet to attend. We got back to the house and visited for a while before everyone headed off to bed. It was, after all, a work/school night for them.

Almost Done

On my way home, I stopped at JoAnn Fabrics to pick up a few supplies for an idea I'd been working on.  Sunday isn't just my Birthday (Yup. It's that time of year again!). Most importantly, it's the first Sunday of Advent on the Christian calendar. I wanted to have an Advent Wreath this year, so I needed the candles and wreath to make a centerpiece for our dining room table.

The only thing I forgot were candle holders for tapers to set in the center. I learned my lesson about burning candles decades ago (when I nearly burned down our home during a cocktail party), so I will have the candles in fire-safe holders inside a glass container - and the each candle will be lit on each of the four Sundays in Advent while I'm in the room with them. No unattended burning candles in a hundred year old farmhouse!

I added little cardinals to my sparkling wreath, and there are three purple candles, with the one rose-colored candle to signify the eve of Christ's birth. That will be the last candle burned.

Kathy Schmitz Needlework
 
I spent much of the rest of the day reading, and then pulled out one of the last Kathy Schmitz embroidery projects for the other quilt I've been working on. I think there's only one more block after I finish this one!

Today, I'll be making six dozen cookies for a cookie exchange party I'm attending on my Birthday. Aside from my chocolate chip cookies, I haven't mass-produced (six dozen is "mass produced" for me!) a batch of cookies. Each person who attends was asked to bring that many for the exchange. There will be contests and games and such, and I'm looking forward to going. 
 
I'm making cutout cookies that I'll decorate. I'm not sure I'll get all of that done today. I may bake them today and then decorate them tomorrow. I might decide to sit and stitch a bit more. We'll see how it goes.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Would you consider LED candle's? there is such a variety now. not sure about color you could always try a catholic supply store - Nashville has St. Mary's bookstore - family owned and ran. Many blessings - on the run again and I am accomplishing very little but everything God intends, I suppose :) Many blessings - your right though nothing like a real candle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna