January 28, 2014

Another Sad Farewell...

David Martin (1945 - 2014)
I wish that all of you could have known our friend, David Martin.
When I began dating Handsome in 1981, David was the first of his 
friends that I met. They were very close, traveling for MercMarine all 
over the country together. Handsome was a staff photographer for the 
company and David became his go-to boat driver. They traveled coast 
to coast - north, south, east and west - producing images that were used
in company catalogs, calendars, and as dealer tools. They were the best.
They were the legendary "L & M Photo Team".
David • 1989
When I met him, I understood how the guys became such good friends. 
We immediately hit it off and I was glad to have a new friend in David. 
Then we decided to move to Florida, and we chose the Sarasota area because
 this is where David lived. We spent many memorable, fun days together. I
was fortunate to be able to sit in the room when the guys talked about
 people they'd met, shared experiences or plotting their next excursion.
He started dating Laura about fourteen years ago, and when we met her we
knew he had found "the one". She completed him and they were so happy.
David and Laura's Wedding Day • 2004
David and Laura chose a date and we proudly witnessed their vows.
They were married on Valentine's Day and it was a beautiful ceremony.
This year would have been their tenth anniversary.
2014
 David was a graceful and gracious man and when they learned last July
that he had end-stage renal cancer, he faced the news with strength
and poise. He was strong for Laura, their family and their friends.

David lost his fight yesterday morning with his wife at his side.
He stayed as long as he could, but we all believe that God needed
to call him home. He left with the same grace that he lived his life.

He leaves behind his beloved wife, Laura; three stepchildren; three grand-
children; and his mother. We are among many friends who will deeply
feel his absence as we go about our lives, but he can rest in Jesus' arms
  knowing that my husband and I will be here to support and comfort his wife. 

"Goodbye" is so hard. "Good night" is easier.
Good night, dear friend. Until we meet again.
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. Oh Donna! Such a sad moment! God bless you and his family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending loving thoughts and Blessings to you and your friends.
    thinking of you. Lesley UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a touching tribute to your wonderful friend. My condolences on your loss. May memories keep you smiling with grace and joy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad to lose a much loved friend,thinking about you Donna and Handsome and also David's family.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bless,... This is such a beautiful tribute to him Donna. Thinking of all of you.. . . hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Sending lots of hugs for your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Donna, what a beautiful, tender story of a friendship that was blessed. "Good night" is such a beautiful sentiment when losing someone so special to you... I wish much joy in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are with you Donna and with Handsome too. What wonderful memories you have to help you through this sad time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna