December 8, 2013

Arbor Day At Brynwood...

Backyard looking in
This is a project I've been wanting to do for quite a while. The first
time our son and daughter-in-law visited, they brought a tiny star jasmine
 bush as a gift for us. (It's the one on the right side.) I immediately got a
second one to place across the walkway from it when our pool was built. 

Since then, they've grown like gangbusters. I've kept them pruned, but I got
this idea to put an arbor between them to create a "secret courtyard" from
the "Holidome" (pool area) into the backyard. After months of growing, the
 bushes were starting to close off the courtyard, so I needed to get this done.
Holidome toward courtyard
 The arch I ordered arrived on Friday, and I was anxious to get it installed.
After last Coffee Club, I hurried home and opened the box. Handsome
helped me get it put together and we carried it around to the courtyard.

It was a bit of a chore lifting up the overgrown section I'd been grooming
to cover the arch once it would be installed, but between the two of us we
managed to place it without damaging either of the bushes. After we got it
 into its proper place, we arranged the stray tendrils, trimmed the overgrown 
branches and stood back to admire the vast improvement we'd wrought.
Courtyard looking toward backyard
 I'm not finished yet either. I have empty pots to fill with flowers, and perhaps 
a new working birdbath. (The raccoons broke the one on the left side of this 
picture, and because it has oak leaves and acorns on it, I just can't bring myself
 to toss it!) I think the next birdbath will sit closer to the ground to protect it. 
Oh! Wouldn't one of those rocks with the cupped-out centers be cool?

I may add a few Adirondack-style chairs or a bench to this area, too. It's a
 nice quiet place to just sit and enjoy the view! We also have a chiminea
in the courtyard, and we could sit out there on cool, Florida-style winter 
evenings and enjoy the fire. I'll have to give that a little more thought. 
There's no rush, after all. I'll take my time so it's "just right".
My little snoopervisor
 Handsome, Tag and I hope you had a great weekend, too.

P.S. My Sewing Organizer pattern is now available!
Just click on the link to my shop in the left sidebar, or go to
"Brynwood Needleworks" shop on Craftsy. Thanks for looking!
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. I love Jasmine. I have winter jasmine in the garden that my mum gave me as a cutting from hers. (It's nice to have heirloom plants!).
    Your archway looks lovely and I expect the scent is wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This beautiful! What a lovely spot. Love the scent of jasmine and gardenia. You could make stepping stones from the birdbath pieces. I'm looking at snow. Thank you for the vision of warmth:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Donna, That looks beautiful... what a cozy place to sit & relax while sipping a cup of coffee or hot cocoa ~ I can picture a glowing fire in your Chimenea, for me it is a light dusting of the white stuff & cold!
    xox
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Jasmine covered arch is perfect. I love your "secret courtyard" passage. I would seal (clear bathtub glue) that birdbath back together and then put flatish river rocks with some flat glass rounds for sparkle all over the bottom and save it. You know me...I have a penny "gazing ball". We are iced in for winter...schools are closed due to icy roads. Enjoy your warm sunshine dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted an arbor arch to a secret garden. Its on our to-do list. Rose do real well here in Arizona so ours will be a climbing rose.
    Enjoy the beauty.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna