August 21, 2014

Brynwood Accepted "The ALS Ice Box Challenge"...

I'm sure you're heard all about the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" by now. I
knew someone would nominate me, and it finally happened on Wednesday
  night. (Sending a big, snarky "thank you" to my cousin, Nathaniel!)
 
Of course, you know I'm not one to just grab a bucket and stand in the yard.
Handsome and I put our heads together and came up with this little video.
  I thanked him for helping me by nominating HIM! It's cheesy, I know, but
we had fun, and hope you do, too, when you watch it. Tag even got in the act!
 
Here's the video:
This is the direct link: http://youtu.be/_hBw3L2nR9c
 
Man! That water was chilly! I thought being in the pool would help, but it didn't.
My head was cold even after I went back under water and swam to the steps...
and it was 100ยบ in steamy south Florida by the time we filmed this.

Enough silliness, though. ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) is serious business.
In addition to having ice water dumped on me by my dear husband, I also made a
donation to the ALS Association. I admit that I have selfish reasons for finding a
cure for ALS. ALS and DM (Degenerative Myelopathy in dogs) are closely related.
As of today, both diseases are incurable, and DM has the same symptoms.
 
From the ALS Association website:
"Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease 
that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from 
the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the 
body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads 
to their death. When the motor neurons  die, the ability of the brain to initiate and 
control muscle movement is lost." In dogs the degeneration also leads to death.
The ALS Association and the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals share their
research results. It is my deepest desire that a cure be found for ALS - and
DM. Taggart carries both genes for DM. That means he could live a long,
healthy life with no effects whatsoever. It also means that he could develop
DM after he turns ten, but I pray every day that he never exhibits symptoms.

So, I made my donation in addition to being soaked with water and ice. When
 I nominated Handsome to take up the challenge, and I knew he'd also donate.

Perhaps you think the Ice Bucket Challenge is silly. That's ok. You're not
required to do it. What I would like to ask is that you consider making a
small donation to the ALS Association. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a cure
were found in our lifetime? If you're so motivated, this is the link to make
a gift toward continued research. Thanks for watching the video and
making it all the way to the end of today's post. Tag and I really appreciate it.
DonnaAcornSignature

7 comments:

  1. Well done Donna and Handsome for taking up the challenge as well as donating. I too hope a cure for these diseases are found soon.

    We saw the ice-bucket challenge over here about a month ago and in the middle of our winter. There was a huge amount of money raised for all sorts of charities and research foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Donna, my father died from ALS, so can be sure that this challenge is near and dear to my heart. The Ice Bucket has raise awareness as well as money for research for a cure. My father participated in blind test for medicine while he was afflicted, hopefully new medicines will be developed as a result of the dollars being donated.
    I also learned something new today, I was not aware of DM in dogs. Hopefully a cure will be found for this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are on board with a donation, both for this devastating disease and in honor of our friend, Cleo the Corgi who bravely battles DM with the help of her wonderful family. XXOO from Carol & Tag's Best Girl Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing and hearing you Donna Dear. Tag knew to stay clear of the ice bucket. I see the link to ALS. Is there a link to DM to donate? Tag will be in my prayers too. Amazing what ripples one person can create. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Donna, I haven't been that brave, but a donation I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great video Donna, and so fun to see you "live" and in person!! I worked for a guy that died of ALS - devastating!! And I was saddened to hear about DM and Tag carrying those genes!! I will keep you all in my prayers!! Brrrrrrr, that looked cold!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! You are so brave! Have a great weekend!
    hugs, Elsina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna