December 29, 2021

Sweets For A Celebration...

2021 Holiday Cookie Assortment

I spent the past two days baking and decorating cookies, and making candies. There were a total of five dozen cookies, and two trays of candy.

2021 Holiday Cookies

I repeated the Santa cookies I made last year. They're one of my favorites. Of course, there had to be Labradors and Corgis, too. I thought the black-face sheep were a fun addition. I'll likely make more cookies before the end of the year, but these will be given away as gifts.

2021 Sweets

I also made one batch of fudge (top) and Reese's Peanut Butter Bars (bottom). I originally planned to make maple walnut fudge, but realized (right after Handsome got home from the grocery store) that I didn't have maple extract. 

Necessity being the mother of invention, I decided to switch up the recipe to use ingredients I had on hand. I made the recipe with hickory syrup and hickory nuts instead, and I'm so glad I did! I think the results were delicious. Then I made the peanut butter bars. I'm really going to have to pace myself so I don't gain back the weight I managed to lose in the past six weeks or so!

Today is Handsome and my wedding anniversary. We've made reservations this week to a restaurant in Plymouth, WI that came highly recommended by Son #1 and his wife. In fact, they gave us a gift certificate for Christmas, and this is the perfect time to use it. I can't imagine anyone I rather share a meal and a life with than my dear husband.

Happy Anniversary, Boyfriend. 

16 comments:

  1. Those cookies & candies look yummy.
    Love the doggie cookies.
    Happy Anniversary!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I always enjoy making the dog ones. I think the next batch will have red collared labs (Bella) AND pink collared labs (Carly). I'm going to share the cookie and frosting recipes soon, too. They're really good!
      Thanks for the anniversary wishes. We really appreciate it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!! Your cookies are so nicely decorated. Love the Santa. I remember him from last year also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie!
      I do have fun making these cookies. The Santa is made with a cookie mold I purchased a few years ago from King Arthur Baking. It's still available! I looked back at the photos from last year to remind me how I decorated them. ;-) Thanks for being a friend who remembers last year's post about them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you and Handsome! Enjoy your date night. The goodies look yummy and I'd be hard pressed to not pig out on them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA. Handsome woke up under the weather this morning, so we cancelled the reservation for tonight. When I called the restaurant, the owner was so sweet. She said we'll just make believe it's our anniversary on the night we finally get there. Awww. Oh, yes. It's hard not to eat all the cookies. Harder for Handsome than it is for me!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. It was quiet, as Handsome wasn't feeling well. We'll celebrate later. I was happy to mother hen him, and by dinnertime he was much better. Tomorrow will be even better.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Celebrating it together is the best part. Many many more years together. Beautiful cookies and candy you have made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry. You're so right. I love the shared memories, good and bad. So much is understood without words.
      I haven't finished making the goodies for this year. More fudge, and more cookies. I just have to remember they're not all for the two of us! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! Your cookies are great decorated! And all the candies you made sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Marit!
      Thank you, dear. I'll share recipes in the next week or so. Believe me, there's not a difficult one in the bunch.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Donna those cookies and candies look fantastic. Congratulations on your anniversary too. Hope you have a wonderful celebration. My parents would have celebrated their 66th anniversary if they had still been here. I bet the celebration in heaven far exceeds the one here on earth. Have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      Thanks so much! Our celebration was put on hold, when Handsome woke up feeling ill. Thankfully, it was just a 24 hour bug. He was feeling much better by bedtime. I watched over him all day while he mostly slept. That's usually the best medicine. We'll have our celebration dinner next week, when all the New Year festivities are over.
      I absolutely agree with you about your parents' anniversary. I believe they're together and having the best celebration ever. God is good, my friend. His promises are true.
      Happy New Year to you and yours.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on 37 years of marriage!! Truly a wonderful and special blessing! Congratulations on losing weight over the past six (or so) weeks - over the holiday season - woo hoo! Congratulations on turning out those adorable cookies - may they not be too much temptation to bear! So much celebrating to be done! (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lois! I agree that 37 years with my dear husband has been the best blessing. As for my weight loss, a BFF who lost 76 pounds over the past year was a huge inspiration. She lost it slowly. The best way. So, I decided to work on portion control, and I have to learn to eat more slowly. I'm sure that would help, too.
      Happy New Year to you and yours.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna