December 30, 2021

It's Back Home...

Brynwood Needleworks "Horicon Marsh Sampler"
 

I designed this sampler in 1993, and it was available as a chart. I chose Horicon Marsh - located in an adjacent county - because at that time, it was designated as a a Wetland of International Importance by the Ramsar Convention of the United Nations. I served on the Wisconsin Conservation Congress at that time, and this designation was historically important to our state.

When we moved to Florida in 2001, I gifted this completed sampler to a dear friend, Wendi (also my hair dresser now) because of her and her family's love of the outdoors. When the camper in which it was installed burned to a crisp, this piece had already been long-removed, so it survived.

Wendi had considered gifting it to the new nature center at Horicon Marsh...and she would have had Handsome and I not returned to Wisconsin. Now that we're back, she thought that such donation should be something I should do, not her. Hence, when I went for my hair appointment on Tuesday, she returned it to me.

Brynwood Needleworks "Horicon Marsh Sampler"

The sampler is in great condition, but the frame has seen better days. So, I'm going to keep it here for a while before having it professionally reframed. Once that's done, I'll make some telephone calls and see if this is something the people at the Marsh might like to have in their Center. If so, I'll donate this copy.

One of the things I'm contemplating in the new year is converting all of my samplers to pdf format to make them available for purchase again. I'd love some feedback about that. (If you need to see my samplers before having an opinion, you can see all my designs by clicking the link in my sidebar.) I actually have a few more designs that have never gone to print (yet). I'd add them, too. So, please let me know what you think.

Finally, thank you for the anniversary wishes. We didn't get to go for dinner last night as planned. Handsome woke up feeling ill, so out of an abundance of caution, he laid low and we stayed home. I'm happy to report he was feeling much better by evening. 

We'll make reservations for next week, and the owner of the restaurant already said that we'll just make believe the night we go is our "anniversary night". I already love the new owners, and can't wait to meet them!

7 comments:

  1. We live right by the Horicon Marsh!
    We see a lot of cool Waterfowl, especially in Spring.
    Herons, Egrets,interesting Ducks, Pelicans, a lot of Pelicans, & more.
    It's so peaceful here.
    I'm sure the Marsh would appreciate your donation of the Sampler.
    Yes, you should reprint those beautiful designs.
    I hope Handsome feels better today.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marilyn:
      How wonderful that you live so close to the Marsh. I've driven through on 49 when the pelicans were migrating. It was awesome to see what I considered a southern bird floating on the water in Wisconsin. I've seen swans there, and all the other birds that migrate through this awesome wetland. I love it, too. Thank you for giving me your thoughts on donating the sampler, as well as making my samplers available again. Handsome is almost back to his ol' self.
      Happy New Year, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Donna dear this Horicon Marsh sampler you designed and stitched is such a treasure. I cannot imagine the Marsh not being eternally grateful. Stay well and celebrate when the time is right. I don’t do any hand stitching much anymore however I feel your designs should be available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thank you, dear. I appreciate your thoughts about donating the sampler. I understand completely how the hand stitching gets a little more difficult. I can't do counted thread on the fine count linens anymore, but I'm still able to embroider on them...when my arthritic thumbs aren't acting up. Ahhh...the saying about getting old and sissies...
      Happy New Year, my dear friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I don't see why they wouldn't want to have that sampler on display and yes I think you should re-print your designs. I think cross stitch is enjoying a resurgence at the moment so the timing is good.
    So sorry Handsome was feeling under the weather - but good to know that the restaurant will still honour your reservation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MA:
      Thank you so much for your thoughts about donating the sampler. I'll definitely contact the center about donating it after it's reframed. I also appreciate you input about making my samplers available. I'm going to work on that for the new year.
      Handsome is almost back to his old self, so I'm grateful for that. We'll celebrate next week at the restaurant. It will be just as lovely.
      Happy New Year, my friend. Here's to a better 2022.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Dear Donna, I think you should offer them again. I don't stitch anymore (at the moment) but will not rule out picking up a needle again. I'm sure there are many people who would enjoy your designs, me being one of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna