December 1, 2016

Gifts For The Farm...

Brynwood Needleworks - Ellen's Gifts For The Farm

My dear friend, Ellen, invited me to her home yesterday so that I could choose my Birthday gifts from her array of antique crockery. She's always so generous with me, and she's someone who always brings a smile to my heart when I think of her.

She had told me that her daughter isn't interested in having any of the antique treasures her mama has collected over the years, and she knew I'd love having them for the farm. She couldn't have been more right.

Brynwood Needleworks - Ellen's Gifts For The Farm

The first item that caught my eye was the (British) Dundee Marmalade piece. Ellen had three of them, and hers are much older than the two I already have. The older ones are more ornate than the later versions, too. This one is so beautiful.

Behind it is a tall crock bottle. Ellen had two and chose one for me. They were old beer bottles! While she had a few large jugs that reminded me of the vessels my grandfather used in winemaking, my dear grandpa also loved his beer. This bottle is definitely easier to transport than the larger jugs, so I accepted it.

The larger crock was a gift to Ellen from a friend in the 1990s. Of course, the crock itself is much older, and it's beautiful. I can see this one holding utensils in the kitchen at the farm. It's perfect.

Brynwood Needleworks - Ellen's Gifts For The Farm

The last two pieces have been Ellen's for a long time. She told me how she used to use this large crock for making pickles and other dishes. The interior is brown glaze and in perfect condition.

She told me the tall bottle is an ink bottle! It has a spout on one side, so I naturally thought it was used for oil or vinegar, but she corrected me. I think it's so cool that ink was held in such a unique and wonderful bottle. Of course, on reflection, I doubt that farm families had oil and vinegar sitting on their tables for dressing salads like we do today.

I'll take these with me to the farm next week. Once we design the kitchen, I may have to have a special shelf made to showcase all these beautiful containers! So many things I'm looking forward to. Seeing these on "proper" display is one of them.

DonnaAcornSignature0
 
PS. Happy Birthday (in Heaven) to my uncle. Larry, it's impossible for me to celebrate my Birthday every year without taking time to reflect on your special day (the day before mine), and how very much I always miss having you in this world. Until we meet again...

1 comment:

  1. Donna your friend Ellen has given you such wonderful pieces of crockery for Hickory Hill Farm. I love each of them and their memories they hold. I had never seen an ink bottle like this before. Yes, you will need an extra special display feature in your new kitchen. Treasured friends and treasures for you dear. Happy Pre-Birthday...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna