June 19, 2011

A Quick Crochet Project...

I still have leftover cotton yarn from my Granny Square Cardigan project, so I decided a quickie project was in order. (I got the idea from Wawanna at Silver Threads/Golden Needle blog, so please go and visit her wonderful site. This is the post with her containers. They're much more colorful than mine, and I just love them!)

I settled on a small scrap catcher for my side table. I started with a chain of five for the bottom and then double crocheted twice into each chain to make it into a circle for the base. I continued crocheting rows around the bottom until I got to the size I wanted for the base of the container. (I also would stop from time to time to make sure that it would lie flat as I was working on it.)

In order to prepare to go up the sides, I crocheted into the back of each stitch all the way around, and then did a half double crochet all around. It makes a nice little edge to begin working up the side. A little "double crochet, chain one, double crochet, repeat" all around for the open work and then finish to desired height with the half double crochet.
I finished off my scrap catcher with a little flower to add a little embellishment, and voila! All done.

Today, I'll be back to working on my Maureen Appleton squirrel. I'm almost finished with the one over one cross stitch, and then I'll be able to start assembly on the scissors fob. Hope to be able to show it to you very soon.
Also, an early reminder that next week is Memory Lane Monday. I'd love to have you share a special memory from your life...you pick the subject. Then come back and link to the party on my Memory Lane Monday post. I'll have my post up on Sunday so that you can join in, and you can link anytime until Wednesday of next week.

So put on your thinking caps and we'll look forward to reading your favorite memory next Monday, too!

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Donna. A very nice piece you demonstrated here. I am making a note of this. Always need petty little containers around and they will be nice for small gifts for friends. I so admire you work. Blessings.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just love your little scrap catcher. I bet it looks so cheery sitting on your table. I can't wait to see your other projects! Have a nice day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good First Day of a New Week, Donna!

    You must PROMISE to help me figure this out when we come back down to FL next winter. I only know the very basic of stitches so I'm a wee bit confused. I have a book on crochet around here somewhere. I will dig it out today.

    Hope you're having a wonderful summer. I miss being able to visit with you. Been a bit under the weather (its all on my blog) but I'm back to full speed now.

    Hugs to you & Handsome & please pat Kes for me?
    fondly,
    Rett
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Scrap Catcher, and the flower you have added is so cute! It's awesome how each of us can take a simple idea, embellish it and make it truly our own! You are so very creative and talented, a real jewel! Thanks for your referral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your newly crocheted scrap catcher is so pretty and useful. I visited Silver Threads/Golden Needles and love her crochet work. Thank you for the link. Come winter I shall try these scrap catchers. Wondrous week to you dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, I really like your scrap catcher. I just wish I had the time to try everything that I see and like. We are in a severe storm watch this evening. It has been very hot and muggy. They had levee break to the north of us, so that has help slow the highwaters down for our area. The wind has sure died down since we got home. Have a wonderful week. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My colors for sure. I miss crocheting but of course I could not do projects like yours.
    Hard to believe next week is already Memory Lane Monday. Comes around fast.
    Will try to think of something to write about
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna