June 1, 2011

Helping Headstart...

The quilt guild donates new quilts and blankets to our local Headstart program every year. These blankets are donated to 4 and 5 year old children to help prepare them for school. The quilts are used for afternoon naps, and our goal is to provide a quilt for each child.

There are usually lots of girly quilts, but not many are donated that are strictly for boys. I decided my quilt will be a boys quilt. I chose a line of fabric that has a hockey theme. The Florida Lightning hockey team is a big deal around here, so it just seemed appropriate.

Headstart quilts should measure approximately 36" x 42", which really only requires two 1 yard cuts of fabric (one for the front, one for the back). The kids get to choose from the selection of quilts, so I can image some little boy picking this one.

I'll be using one of the fabrics for the center panel, and then adding different borders around it. I didn't just want to make a whole fabric quilt. I wanted it to be a little more special. I'll machine quilt the layers in a meandering pattern. Shouldn't take very long to complete. I'll be back on Saturday to show you the finished quilt.

6 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing and I also made my quilts for little boys. It is such a fun project and you walk away feeling so good. I just know that your quilts will make some little boys very happy! Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most places that receive gifted quilts, pillowcases, etc have many more girl and small child appropriate items. It's so hard to pass by all those cute little themed fabrics. When making pillowcases for ConKerr I concentrate on the older children. Teenagers need comfort when they aren't on top of the world just as much as little ones.
    We're from New England.....so happy hockey has come to the warmer climate. Thank you, Phil Esposito (ex Bruin) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a kind and good thing to do. How fun to select boy themed fabrics. I can imagine some little boy picking up your quilt and being so thrilled. He will want to go to school everyday just to be able to snuggle with his quilt! Happy quilting my dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great thing to do! Cute fabrics too girlfriend!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna, I have been visiting you, but just haven't got to leave a comment. blogger has been a little of a problem here lately. I like the idea for the boys. I know I have a couple sets of race car and trains quilt blocks that I have done. I may get them done after I see my quilt.
    I enjoyed your adventure in the previous post. I will gladly send you some rain, do you want some of our flood water to when it gets here.
    Have a wonderful weekend. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna,
    I think this is such a great idea, and I think you're absolutely right, it's so easy to create for a little girls, so much cuteness out there. Not as easy for a boy. I love the fabrics you've chosen, I'm especially interested in the one with all of the hockey words all over it. My husband is a huge hockey fan and I've been wanting to make him something hockey related, which isn't so 'kid-centric'. Would you mind sharing the fabric maker, or maybe where you found that fabric? I can't wait to see your project completed, I hope you'll share with us all :o)
    oxo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna