June 6, 2011

Meet Hyram...

Hyram is our new resident gnome. He moved from our granddaughters' house to ours. He's a ramblin' man who enjoys the fun things in life. He is the product of Granddaughter One and Grandaughter Two's artistic endeavors, and we love him.
I'm told there is a wonderful shop in their town where you can walk in, choose the greenware piece (anything from coffee mugs to little figurines), and then paint them to your taste. From there the shop employees take the painted pieces, place them in a kiln and fire them to bring each piece to life.

Our granddaughters actually painted this little gnome and sent him to Florida to keep us company. They also glued a magnet to the back of a sweet little turtle and now it proudly sits on our fridge.

As for the gnome - we never know where he'll turn up. He's pretty independent, and gnomes are well-known to be mischevious. They're also friends to all wild creatures. Imagine my surprise when I saw him out in the Holidome chatting it up with one of our resident pool geckos! The geckos love the Holidome. They eat ants and other insects. Apparently, the gnome and the gecko were discussing local cuisine.
We decided to name him "Hyram" and he's going to become a chronicler of our travels this year. We're going to take him wherever we go with the Flying Cloud and then take his picture in each place we visit. Sort of like a 3-D Flat Stanley.

We'll write about the different places, states and landmarks, include a few mementos from each stop, and then at the end of the year, I'll put together a little journal of all the photographs and put everything into a gift box to give to our granddaughters. We did this a number of years ago for our grandson and he still has it.

Perhaps I should add a cd of the Allman Brothers "Ramblin' Man" to include with the album. What do you think? ("Lord, I was born a ramblin' ma-a-a-an. Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I ca-an...") giggle Gotcha! Sing it with us, now! Those mischevious gnomes. So sneaky!

12 comments:

  1. I think it so special it came from your Granddaughter's I am sure it tickles her to see it at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hyram and cannot wait to see where he travels! Your granddaughters did a fantastic job of bringing him to life!
    And aren't geckos just the coolest? Santa even brought one all the way from the North Pole one year to a very special little boy in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty lady, you are so silly, too. I love Hyram. We have those shops out here, too, they are called "As you wish" and I've taken my kids there numerous times. I have a thing for bowls, so every time I go, I decorate a bowl for my kitchen. Stop by and enter for my summer giveaway.

    Big Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    What an adorable idea! Hyram is the perfect addition to your famiy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,

    Very cute post. Clever kids. Now I am going to humming that song all day long.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just had to get me at the end with that song didn't ya???? hee,hee,hee.
    I looooooove Hyram! I can't wait to see where he shows up this Summer! How fun!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is hoping he has found a permanent home with you...we had a gnome in our family ( many years ago) who kept showing up in the most ridiculous places...and poof one day he disappeared...lol Imagine that...he was not as nice looking as yours..sew I do not think he will meet the same fate lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hyram does look like a ramblin' man, but there's no place like gnome. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun! What a lovely idea, your grand-daughters will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love Hyram and how your granddaughters made him special for you. Hyram the traveling gnome will have quite the wonderful adventures with you traveling in the Flying Cloud first class. It will be fun to follow his escapades. And how fun to complete the year with a memory album for the girls. Your gecko and Hyram are too funny regaling tales of local cuisine. Bahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! And the granddaughters will love and treasure it! I cross-stitched 2 gnome pics for our office back in the 80's and they still hang over my desk. One says, "To Gno Me is to Love Me"!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just adore gnomes. They are so much fun and they always make me smile. My hubby has advised me that we can only get gnomes with red hats. LOL Silly, right? I'm in the mood now to watch Amelie - have you seen that film?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna