July 9, 2024

Treasures...

 
I have a treasure shelf in my studio that's filled with things made by dear, creative friends or some of my own work. Some were from blog friends who no longer post, or some who do infrequently, but with whom I'm still in regular touch. 
 
Especially when I'm not able to create, looking at these treasures reignites my creative fire, or just makes me happy.
 
 
My friend, Dawn Edmondson of The Feathered Nest blog and SewManyRoses on Etsy created the sparkling snowman on the pink box (upper left). My friend, Mary Wadsworth created the oak leaf tree (along with a Kes ornament and B for Brynwood ornament) almost as soon as I began blogging. I love all of them. The David Winter piece, called the Crofter's Cottage, was a gift from our (then) boys when I collected many of the pieces. I only have about four left that hold a special place in my heart, and this is one of them. The Harris Tweed Rabbit pincushion  - available as a pattern - and the embroidered teddy bear are both my own creations. I still have the boy bear on my To Do list.
 

I have a Longaberger jar that I turned into a pincushion, filled with wooden acorns that were a gift from my talented designer friend, Bren Riddle of Brenda Riddle Designs. Bircornus done in cross stitch by my New Zealand friend, Marrianne who I met through Ravelry and still have nearly daily contact with. The top one of the stack is my own piece.

Then there's the needle felted Corgi from my friend Marion (who still has Tag's brother, Trip) , a polar bear I just had to have, and the snowman I did during one of our monthly craft days. The white teddy bear was made by Margaret B from Canada. It's fully jointed and weighted, and I love it.

The bottom shelf has the acorn egg cup with the wonderful squirrel and acorns that was a special commission I requested of my friend, Susan Pilotto of Mouse Droppings blog. She's also on Facebook and Instagram, so you can see her current works. She also made the wee mouse on the other end of the shelf sitting on a tuffet created on a wooden spool. I've previously shared a gorgeous, big heart trio with my monogram and another mouse that she also made for me. That one hangs on the wall above my computer. They all make me smile.

The items in between those two pieces are all acorns in one form or another...pincushions I've made, gifted felted acorn-topped pins, and a tin with an acorn cross stitch piece that my faithful blog friend, Marilyn gave me last fall. Each and every piece holds a special place in my heart, and is displayed in this most prominent place where I can enjoy them daily. 

These are not the only gifts I've received over the years, and they're all displayed somewhere in our home. Most are in my studio, but they're definitely not confined to those rooms. There are the gifts from my friend, Jody, who always manages to find the perfect pieces for me to use in the kitchen. Dear Sherry has painted wonderful pieces for me that are on display. I have a really fun sewing mouse that is laden with sewing ephemera, created by my blog friend, Ann many years ago. I wrote about her HERE. That mouse sits right next to my computer. I always try to share these gifts in posts, but I don't always include the gifter's name, in case they'd rather remain anonymous.

There are so many blessings that surround me. When I'm busy with work and have no time or energy to play, these are just some of the pieces that remind me why I've continued to blog, create and share my life with you these past fourteen years. 
 
I'm so blessed, and truly one lucky girl. Thank you to all who fill my life with joy - your comments always make me smile, and your gifts are memories I'll always hold dear.

9 comments:

  1. They are all so very cute!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn:
      Your gifts are so appreciated and enjoyed.
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. All treasures indeed and a lovely cabinet for display too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA. They make me so happy.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Having treasures with lovely memories is like having a hug any time you look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each treasure is so wonderful and a beautiful display.
    For me everything is always about the memories.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley:
      The cardinal ornament hangs in my china cabinet downstairs - year round. I light it from time to time and think of you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. What a lovely display of treasures, Donna. Gosh, I had all but forgotten about those biscornu. I must make some more. Take care. Marrianne xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna