July 5, 2024

Tiny Ideas...

 
One of my co-workers had a sad event in their life Wednesday afternoon, so I was called in last minute to cover hours for the gal who works the register so she could work in the kitchen for my co-worker. She and her family were outside when her husband was leaving in their truck. She told the dog to stay on the porch, but as is usually the case, the dog didn't listen. Her husband accidentally ran over the dog and killed it. My co-worker is understandably devastated and will not be to work for a while.

So, I got up a 4:30 yesterday morning, and was at work by 5:30 to work the opening shift. The sun was coming up, and there was a thick haze in the lowland areas on my drive. It was actually quite beautiful. In some areas the chickory is already blooming along the shoulders of the road, so the Queen Anne's Lace won't be far behind. 

The little time I did have to stitch, I pulled a few tiny frames and experimented with what I might like to put into them. Of course, my favorite wildflower - the Queen Anne's Lace - was my first choice.

I work late afternoon again today, so I'm planning to stitch a bit more during the day today. I've got something special I'm going to be working on over the weekend, so I'll let you know about that tomorrow.

I hope you all had a restful holiday, celebrating with friends and family. Handsome and I got the grill out for the first time this year and enjoyed burgers together - grilled - as they always should be. It was perfect.

I'm going to have my morning cuppa and pull out my needlework supplies. Today, I shall simply follow my muse. How about you?

10 comments:

  1. What an awful tragedy.
    Queen Anne's Lace is also my favorite.
    We had a lot of it in our yard at our old house.
    Everyone calls it a weed, but I think it's a beautiful weed!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It was. I'll be taking off my Friday and the following Tuesday to go north, but I drew a Monday and a Wednesday because she took off. I can't even imagine how awful they're feeling right now. As I moved around the yard today, I saw a lot of QAL starting to open. It's considered a weed, but it's actually wild carrot, and could be eaten if needed. So much of the old ways and information have been set aside. It is indeed beautiful, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. As Marilyn said - what a horrible tragedy. I'm so sorry for the family.
    Chicory is blooming here too - it's my favourite wildflower because (wait for it)...it's blue.
    My muse yesterday led me to start working on a life-sized doll for our grandie for Christmas. My mother made me that doll when I was little (so that makes the pattern nearly 70 years old!) and I held onto the pattern just in case there would be a granddaughter sometime. The time is now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I love the blue of chickory, too. Bonus that it can be used to make tea. I'd love to see what your finished doll looks like! I bet it's going to be wonderful...a true heirloom! Have fun sewing!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: I am so sorry for your co-worker and her husband. May they find Peace and Comfort. Your tiny frame with the stitched Queen Anne’s Lace is beautiful. Blessings Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I can't even imagine. I'm sure they're feeling so guilty right now. I pray they can heal, too. My tiny QAL was just the little needlework fix I wanted. More soon.
      Happy weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh I can just imagine your co-worker's deep sorrow. My heart certainly goes out to her. Yes early mornings can be such a wonderful blessing. I adore chicory and queen Anne's lace - they may be wildflowers but oh so beautiful. Have a a great weekend and enjoy your stitching time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie:
      Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad it's nothing I've ever had to endure. It turned out to be quite the nice day for me. After work I still had a lot of daylight left to myself. Chickory and QAL are such a pretty combination. Beautiful natural bouquets all along the roadways. I love them, too. Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Oh, how sad and a difficult thing to have to process. I love Queen Anne's Lace and used to bring in bouquets of it when it bloomed abundantly in the field behind our home. Now, the field is regularly mowed and, alas, no more lovely wild flowers. 😑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      It certainly is. I feel so bad for their family. I love having the Queen Anne's Lace in the house, but it just doesn't seem to last very long indoors. I can understand mowing the edges of the roads, but for the life of me, I don't understand why the fields have to be mowed. We mow less and less on our property each year. I love the wildflowers, and so do the bees!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna