July 24, 2024

Digging...

Here we sit at the end of the road, minding our own business. A week ago, trucks, backhoes and equipment arrived to begin the process of removing all the overhead power lines along our vista as they prepare to place them underground.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to having the pole removed from our yard, as well as the pipes on the southern face of the farmhouse. Then I got to wondering, where will all the birds perch as they wait for their chance to get to our feeders? They love the power lines for a great vantage point and those will be gone in the next few weeks. I'm thinking I may end up placing something with cross bars to replace a small portion of what they'll be losing. 

Work was great yesterday, and Handsome "behaved" while I was away. I'm going to be doing some baking this morning and then I'll be going to town mid-afternoon to enjoy a little time with friends. I'd better get busy so my baking is done in time for me to leave. A cuppa and then I'm off to the races. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. That's a big project!
    I hope Handsome is recovering well.
    Have fun with friends!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It really is. We watched as they pulled a machine in behind our little section of fence, and then proceeded to send a drill 2' underground across that yard, and all the way up to a hole they'd dug next to the house. The attached the hollow tubing to it, and then the operator pulled that tubing all the way back to meet up to tubing at the base of the power pole. They went under our yard , under the driveway, and under the kitchen garden until they reached that hole. It was impressive!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Getting rid of those unsightly power lines will be lovely and I'm sure the birds will think of alternate places to keep an eye on things. It's going to be an upheaval while they do the work but it will look great AND be safer too.
    Glad Handsome was a good boy while you were away - it's hard to convince men to behave themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I agree about getting rid of the overhead lines. The birds will figure it out, but I still might find a way to help them out a bit. I'm still contemplating that. Handsome definitely behaved. He surely doesn't want to fall or bump his head. Those are great incentives.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. It brought a smile to my face as I read about your concern for where the birds would sit while waiting to make piggies of themselves at your feeders (-: ...and then again as I read Magpie's comment on convincing men to behave themselves. Unfortunately, that is all too true. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Some days, that line is loaded with birds waiting their turn for the feeders. I'm concerned they'll wait on the ground where those two blasted cats might ambush them. I'll come up with something soon. I'm even thinking about asking the power company to leave the pole, but cut it down to about 10 feet. I could drill little perches on what's left, and at that height, we could ditch the guide wire that stabilizes the taller pole. I haven't mentioned it to Handsome yet, but I think I will soon. Handsome told me he'd be relying on me for help for a little while, and that he didn't want me to think he was taking me for granted. Far from it. I'm here to help. As we always say, "It's what we do."
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Great idea with the cross bars.
    It's good to know that Handsome behaved, obviously he knows the
    commands, sit, stay, while you're away.
    Enjoy your afternoon out.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      He knows those commands all too well. (He taught them to me. lol) Had a grand afternoon. Thanks so much for your card, dear. I loved it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna