July 2, 2024

More For The Pantry...

Two days ago, I pressure canned five large beef roasts for ready-to-eat meals. Each pint jar contains enough meat for a meal for both Handsome and me.

I cut all the meat into large cubes and set the trimmed fat aside. Then, all the meat was browned (3 separate batches) with chopped white onion, and placed in a jar containing our current favorite seasoning, Salt Sisters ™ Tuscan Blend. 

Once the jars were filled, leaving a 1 1/4" headspace, I added the liquid from the browning process and topped off with boiled spring water. Then I wiped the rims with vinegar, placed the lids and rings and placed them into the pressure canner. They were canned at 11 psi for seventy five minutes and stayed in the canner until about twenty minutes after it depressurized. 

After all the jars popped and cooled, I removed the rings, made sure they all sealed and added labels before placing them in the pantry on the "meat" shelf. When Handsome asked me what was on the menu for our evening meal, I told him, "Mashed potatoes and a jar of the meat I just canned." I have a homemade beef gravy blend, so I added that to the juice in the jar as I planned to put the meat on top of the potatoes.

Within a half hour we were sitting down to a complete hot meal, knowing that we have more of the same in the pantry. Another fulfilling day behind me.

I have venison (a gift from a friend), chickens, and a turkey still waiting in the freezer. I'll do those over the course of the summer. For now, the shelf is full and it's nice to know we have options. 

Handsome had a procedure yesterday at the hospital, so we were out of the house and on our way by 5:50 am. Early for us! Even though I took needlework with me, I was a little too preoccupied to stitch while I waited. So much for my intentions. 

I work today, but I may sit down with needle and thread for a while after work. Right now, I'm mentally tired, so I'm hoping work takes my mind off things for a little while. I'll see how I feel when I get home. More on that later.


8 comments:

  1. Deliciousness!
    I hope Handsome procedure recovery is well.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks, dear. So far, so good.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Well done - another feeling of satisfaction seeing those jars going on the shelf.
    Best wishes to Handsome for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks, hon. Absolutely the best feeling! He's doing better, thanks.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Donna, I always thought it was so rewarding to hear all my jars "pop" knowing that they were all sealed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri:
      You're so right, my friend. Nothing better for a home canner! It's our signal that "all is well".
      Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Prayers for Handsome to heal completely. You may be a “Prepper” with all the pantry food you have canned. Greeting and helping people at the restaurant today may be just the thing to keep your mind off worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherry:
      Thank you, dear. Prayers are always appreciated. It's a good thing we eat what I prepare, or honestly, I'd need a bigger pantry! It was a very good day at work. Perhaps even a new, cute story to share came of it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna