July 1, 2024

New Hollyhocks Photos...

I told you the hollyhocks would be magnificent this year once they all opened, and they aren't disappointing. I wanted to frame our front steps with the pretty pink ones that stand against the rail, but look at the rest of these pictures!

Didn't Kaleb do a great job in the kitchen garden? I asked him to leave the ground cover in front of the hostas because they get small purple flowers and smell wonderful. They're sort of a wild sage smell. I looked them up once, but have since forgotten exactly what they're called as I write this. 

One of the things I'm really excited about is that the pipe in front of the shutter on the left is going away soon. The power company said they're bury the line without charge. We just need to hire our electrician to hook up to the underground line they'll bring in. They'll even go under our sidewalk!

So the overhead lines are going away, and with it that ugly pipe over the shutter. The cable at the corner (to the left of the pipe) is buried in the ground, and goes all the way up to the roof where it's attached to our lightning rods. Over the 105 or so years they've been on the roof, only one or two have actually broken from strikes, which protected the house. There are still more up top, and they're intact. That assembly will, of course, remain.

This is what the flowers look like as you approach our back (friends and family) entrance. It's hard to see from here, but waaaay down in front, behind that bright pink plant is a new color!

What color would you call this? It's not really magenta. Sort of a true purple. Isn't it lovely? Mum would like some of these plants, so I may dig that one up along with a few others to take to her garden. I'll be warning her that they're bullies!

The birds love this garden, so I'm refilling the seed feeder nearly daily. On Sunday, a new visitor showed up. We had a rose-breasted grosbeak (male) stop for a snack, but I wasn't fast enough to get a photo to share. I'll keep trying. You do see the hummingbird, though, don't you? It's drinking on the right side of that red feeder. They also buzz around the hollyhocks and over to the honeysuckle, too, while all these blooms are inviting them.

And when I turn toward the Compass Barn, there are still clusters of hollyhocks on the other side of the walkway. I just asked Kaleb to remove those that provided hiding places for naughty cats near the birdbath. I don't want any sneak attacks. 

So there's a tour of all the hollyhocks in their finery. They smell wonderful, and they're a real feast for the eyes, too. I hope you're enjoying them almost as much as I am. 

 See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. Gosh, your garden is so very pretty. That's a gorgeous new color!
    I bet the birds love it.
    We still have Orioles coming, then usually leave early July, so we are taking in all the glimpses we see.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dear Marilyn:
      The birds love flitting around among the flowers, so I have to tend the cats during the day. I really should build an enclosure for them so they can be outdoors without putting the local birds and critters at risk. I need to put more thought into that. I'll be keeping track to see how long I can hold the orioles before the fly away this season. I'll let you know.
      Happy Tuesday!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Love the hollyhocks. I started some seeds indoors in march. No luck. I started more in may and they slowly came up. Trying to decide a good spot for them. Bev in NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev:
      These seed themselves in the fall and overwinter under our snow. They're the first things to pop up in the spring, nearly before the daffodils. They're really well-rooted too, making it really hard to thin them out. They love being in this sheltered area with a southern exposure. They seem to really thrive here, although they've volunteered all over the yard now. Good luck with yours!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Your garden ought to be on a garden tour! Those hollyhocks are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Like my studio and house pics, I share the best viewpoints. I'm very fond of my weeds, too (except the thistles), so there are many clusters around the yard of birds-foot-trefoil, clover, milkweed, and plaintain. I even have wild violets and johnny jump ups growing through the grass! I refuse to use any chemicals on the yard, to avoid harming the insects or bees. I'm looking forward to when the chickory and Queen Anne's lace pop up. Then it's really wonderful. It's a little wild for tours, I think, but I appreciate the thought.
      Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Your hollyhocks are so beautiful. It almost looks like the flowers are following you in order to show themselves. Enjoy! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dear Andrea:
      Thanks so much! I especially love it when I'm standing among them and get bussed by all the bees and hummingbirds. I feel a little like Snow White! hee hee
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Oh how I am swooning seeing your beautiful Hollyhocks. Your home is so inviting with all your gardens and flowers. I do see the hummingbird. I also have hummingbirds that feed and they are so tiny and precious. Enjoy your flower fragrances dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sherry:
      I wish I could sit in the garden and drink tea with you! We could listen to the bees buzz and the hummingbirds flying around us.To say nothing of the wrens, orioles, woodpeckers, bluebirds, cardinals, and a host of other sweet birds I've yet to identify! I'm glad you have hummers, too. They're wonderful little jewels.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Stunning. For some reason I've always associated Hollyhocks with farmhouses, just could be
    from my farm girl past. Kaleb did a wonderful job. And I do remember those lighting rods on
    my childhood home.
    Beautiful pictures, especially the second one.
    You sure did a great job of ushering in July and it's my birthday month too.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Hollyhocks and lovely large bridal bouquet bushes (they look like white hydrangeas). We had those all along the front of the old porch, and managed to safe one bush during the demolition. It's thriving, but it's on the north side of the porch, so Handsome and I are the only ones who see it. It's too large to move, so I might get a couple new ones to plant in front. I was impressed with the lightning rods when we bought the farmhouse. Old ingenuity strikes again. They've protected this hillside farmhouse for over a hundred years. It a really comforting thought. Your BIRTHDAY???!!! What's the date?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna