September 24, 2021

A Nice Day For A Chat...

Brynwood Needleworks - Liljegren's Hickory Hill Farm - Turning Leaves

 Even though we always expect it in Wisconsin, it's still a little bittersweet when Summer yields to Autumn. That's taking into account that Autumn is my favorite time of year, too! Our stately maple in the front yard has begun turning color. The sky was Handsome's and my favorite...dark sky backdrop with sunshine in the foreground. Can you see it?

While the weather was brisk and breezy outdoors, I spent most of the day cleaning our attic. For at least the short term, when we bring in the "acorn bed", the farmhouse bed will be set up in the clean, walk-up  attic space. It won't be the only thing I have in mind, but it's going to be a while before I share any of that with you.

By the end of the day, I was gassed. A cup of tea, an Ibuprofen, and putting my feet up for a spell. Then, Handsome said, let's just go out to grab a bite to eat. Exactly what I needed! I ended the day with quite the sense of accomplishment.

So, now, let me tell you what else I have in mind. Fabrics (and more) are taking over two rooms in the upstairs. They're my two studio spaces. Some Most of the fabrics I couldn't sew through if I lived to be one hundred fifty. Likewise with many of my quilting/sewing books. There are some things I really want to make, but the rest I've decided to let go. I want to spend more time with my needlework, and sometimes I'll incorporate it into my sewing projects, but I'll keep more of those items, and make space by letting the fabrics go.

I'm going to keep the fabric lines for those projects I know I'll make; the cork fabric and coordinates for my handbags, wallets and such; and other things like that. I'm going to sort through my books and the rest of the fabrics, with the plan that I'm going to donate some things and list up the rest to sell.

Because I want to part with these things at reasonable prices, I don't really want to list them up on Etsy. I'm contemplating opening a special group on Facebook with the express purpose of promoting my items to sell. If I don't go through Facebook, I'll bite the bullet and figure out how to open a shop space through my Square account. Either way, buyers could safely and securely use their credit cards, but I wouldn't have the piled on fees levied by Etsy. I'd love feedback on this. I'm open to other ideas if you have some.

I'm almost shocked that it's already Friday again. Is someone stealing other days of the week? Are we missing a few of the early months? Someone, please slow down time. I have too much yet to accomplish this year!! I guess I'd better get busy. 

Today, I'll be in the fabric studio, pulling bolts of fabric and setting them aside to photograph - and my donation pile, too. I know it won't be easy. Some of these bolts are like old friends, but I know it's time to bite the bullet and let a lot of these beautiful cottons go to new homes. I really hope you'll take the time to give me feedback on your ideas of the best way to accomplish this. (Thanks in advance!)

Oh, one more thing. In case you're wondering how I'm managing to get these projects done with this knee of mine, I need to share something I decided to try. In the past, Handsome has shared his ice pump machine. I sit in a chair with the cooling pad wrapped around my knee. Once the pump is turned on, ice water circulates up through the pad to offer up some serious relief. Twenty to thirty minutes on, and then twenty to thirty minutes off. Great help, but limited (like no) mobility. I have to sit in the chair the entire time.

Three days ago, on a whim, I tried a Turmeric capsule (only one a day). I actually took my first one at dinnertime. The next morning, I realized that my limp and attendant discomfort was greatly diminished. I told Handsome I was looking forward to seeing how I felt after a week of this therapy. I was on my feet all day yesterday, pushing a vacuum, lifting boxes, and moving things around. I was sore, but not in pain like I have been these past few months. Turmeric (at least for me) seems to be a minor miracle. 

I'm not promoting it for others. I'm not remotely qualified to do that, but I know that Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory. I can say that (with only three days of using it) it sure is working for me. I don't think I'll go back to wearing my high heels any time soon, but walking without a pronounced limp is a real blessing. I just thought I'd share that today.

Reading this back, I see that this post is a potpourri of words. This is what happens when I sit and chat with my BFF. I've always said that writing my blog posts is like sharing a cuppa tea with a good friend. I guess this is the best example of that. Hope you've got a coffee or tea handy while you're reading this. I could use a plate of cookies right about now. How about you?
 
DonnaAcornSignature

11 comments:

  1. Loved reading your chat today - so many interesting things. The primary thing that struck a chord with me was the debate over how to sell things. I've been struggling with that regarding my landscapes for a long time and haven't found any sort of solution. I tried selling through my blog and got a couple of sales but that was it. Etsy scares me because of the fees. Hadn't thought of selling on Facebook but don't know how to go about it. I will be watching your comments with interest on this one.
    And the turmeric - I'm going to give that a try too. It might help with my hands and my knees.
    Good luck with the sorting - it's going to be hard, but don't rush it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      It's taken me years to build a clientele that will go to my Etsy shop. I may begin steering them to a new spot in the copy of my listings there. (Like: "For more of my latest items, please head to >>>>>>.com" sort of thing.) Etsy's fees are really getting ridiculous. They charge to list an item, when it's sold they charge a selling fee, and a fee for taking a credit card, and finally, if you charge postage, they charge a fee for that, too. Like I said, it's getting ridiculous. If I go through my Square account, I only pay a transaction fee. I'll share more as I learn more about Square.
      The turmeric is really helping me. The gel caps are great and easy to take. If you use it, I'd love to know how it's working for you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. The fees are exactly why I've never gotten into Etsy. I have PayPal set up to take payments but that is giving me huge grief too. I know if I attempt to use it to pay for my own purchases most often it flatly refuses to cooperate so I have to assume the same is true for when others are trying to use it too. I'm really at a loss - and not being the least bit tech savvy certainly doesn't help!

      Delete
    3. MA-
      On top of that, Etsy decided that sellers couldn't use Paypal anymore, and had to default to "Etsy Payments", where they levy the extra fees for processing payments (including fees if you charge postage on your items. That especially burns my marshmallows!).

      Delete
    4. I knew people were browned off at Etsy but hadn't known the reason - guess the stoppage of Paypal would be a huge issue for a lot of people. We have to pay GST (Goods & Services Tax) here in Canada and it peeves me greatly that if I order something from the US I still get charged the GST even though it's not a Canadian transaction. To say nothing about the shipping costs. Needless to say I don't order outside of Canada anymore.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a very busy day.
    I'm glad you found some comfort with the Tumeric.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It really is amazing - at least for me. Of course, while it helps my knee, I ended up taking Advil for my back after my project yesterday. I have to keep reminding myself I'm no longer a spring chicken. THAT'S the hard pill to swallow.
      Have a great weekend, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you’ve been busy! I may have to try the turmeric capsules. I was not a fan of the tea. I need to pare down my quilting magazines which I buy as a guilty pleasure. Most have 1 pattern I’d like to make. I refuse to get rid of my smocking and Classic Sewing magazines. I have plans for a grandmother’s chest even though I have teenagers! I have more fabric then I’ll probably see even if it’s limited. Btw I enjoyed your chat with my cup of tea this morning! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I sure have been busy! I need to force myself to pace myself. It's difficult, for sure. I do prefer the capsules. Easy to take, and no taste. I know what you mean about the magazines. I love mine, too. I like your idea, and imagine that some day, our granddaughters will sit in our attic and go through all of grandma's crafty things. I'm so glad you enjoyed my chat yesterday. How lovely it would be if we really could get together to chat over tea and biscuits.
      I hope you have a great weekend, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Are those cookies ready? Got my morning tea before heading out to work. For those of us not on Facebook sure hope we can join in the sale. I have purchased fabric off your Etsy site before and man you’ve got good taste ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. I think figuring out your square is best going forward with what you will be doing. Directing the traffic to your own store where you are in control - on a website of your own. It’s set up work now but going forward gives you total control. There are a number of web hosts for minimum dollars that will take your sales information and keep everyone’s privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      I wish those cookies were ready! I'd be munching on them between lifting boxes. Probably just as well, at least until you come to visit! Thanks for complimenting my taste in fabric. I hope that others love the choices I'll be offering soon. I agree about Square. I think that (and checkout buttons right here on my blog) will be the direction I take. I have a friend who paid a pro to set up her website, but she's young enough that she's still ramping up, while I - at my age - would actually like to be looking to eventually ease off. It was expensive for her to pay someone else. I think I'll figure it out myself, and that will be sufficient for my purposes. I'll keep you posted. I hope you have a great weekend.
      Thanks, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna