September 29, 2021

One Down...

Brynwood Needleworks - Fabric Studio -North West Wall
 
I've completed cleaning my fabric room. I've removed 35-40 bolts that will be donated, sold or gifted. I'm going to start with a friend who is very active with a number of charitable sewing groups. Then, I'll list up the bolts I will sell. Finally, but certainly not getting inferior products, will be my donation pile. 
 
Those bolts are just the beginning. I'll be sorting and pulling more in the weeks ahead. Now that I have my cutting table cleaned off, I'll be able to photograph the bolts toward my goal of moving them to new homes.
 
This wall is the first thing I see when I walk into my fabric studio. my cutting table sits atop two cubby shelf units (that contain cuts that are one yard or less. The pattern file holds all my wools for applique', along with most of the wool kits I own. There are other wool kits in progress that I keep in plastic containers with the patterns. Those are stored in the closet in my sewing studio.

Brynwood Needleworks - Fabric Studio - North East Wall
 
Now that I've taken down and sorted through all the bolts of fabric that used to be on top of my shelves, I have space to display some of my knicknacks, freeing up horizontal work surfaces.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Fabric Studio - East Wall
 
This wall houses a pair of cubby unit shelves, stacked and screwed to the wall. Next to it (behind the door) is a book shelf for some of my needlework books. You'll see my pearl cotton cabinets to the left of the fabric shelves, too. As an aside, those dang radiators can get in the way of decor sometimes. I think I should paint them...or use open-sided, wooden covers, so they can still heat as they're meant to.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Fabric Studio -West Wall
 
Moving to the left around the room, the west wall of the studio has more bolt shelves, and I moved the large 20 gallon crock (that my paternal grandpa used to make pickles) to the window area. The crock holds my rolls of cork fabric. 
 
Next to that, in front of the window, is a small metal shelf unit that holds fabrics I pulled and packed as kits with patterns I really want to sew up. I'm probably going to put something behind that shelf so that those fabrics don't fade from the light.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Fabric Studio -South Wall

Finally, the south wall of my fabric studio holds two more stacked shelf units. The top section has some of my favorite quilting, knitting, crochet and needlework books. The lower section has decor fabric samples, and other supplies in the bins.
 
So at the end of the day, I stood and looked on the result of my hard work. I'm very happy with the finished room...and a little achy. I'm not working in the sewing studio today. I'm going to put my feet up and stitch. I think I've earned it.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

12 comments:

  1. Your studio is so pretty.
    Looks so organized.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thank you so much. It is now. lol
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Well done! Enjoy your restful day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie;
      I enjoyed every second. I even spent time in the backyard soaking up a little Vitamin D. I'm so glad I chose to "take the day off". I really needed it.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Yours is the kind of studio I love to stand in and just absorb all the creative stimulation. I know you are facing a real challenge to meet your goals, and you've had a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, dear.
      Thank you for your kind words. It sure hasn't been easy, but I decided there are some things I just need to do, in spite of my current physical limitations. It's been worth it, but I'm really glad I took the day off.
      Hugs,
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Your studio looks like it could be a store!! You've done really well to organized and go through all that in such a short time so it's no wonder you're tired. Love your valance over the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I got a great deal on the bolt shelves from friends in Florida who were closing their quilt shop. I couldn't refuse! I feel much better having rested yesterday. I needed it. Thanks also for noticing my ribbons, and the compliment about my quilt show ribbons. It reminds me of the recognition I received for my hard work.
      Hugs,
      Donna

      Delete
  5. To say I have fabric envy would be a huge understatement. Your creative space is truly heavenly! Sit back. And relax and enjoy your Labor of Love organized space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      It really is like a purse. The bigger the purse, the more you can stuff in it. I'd love to pare this down to fit into one of my studio rooms. I don't know if that's a reasonable goal right now, but we shall see. Thanks for your kind note, girlfriend.
      Hugs,
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Your studio looks great, so tidy and well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, dear Marit! It was hard work. My back has been rebelling of late, but it was worth every twinge. It reminds me that I'm not a spring chicken anymore.
    Hopw your week is going well.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna