January 30, 2018

Tuesdays With Tag - Maybe It Was Something I Ate...

Tag In Georgia
 
 Hi, Everybody!

I'm comin' to you this week from Dad and Mom's friends' farm in Georgia. I'll tell you more about this place next week, but this week, I wanna tell you about my trip to the vet's emergency room last Thursday. I was feelin' pretty awful.

Tag At The Vet's

It all started when I woke Mom up in the dark on Thursday mornin'. She was pretty sure we'd gone out late on Wednesday night and that I just couldn't hold it any more. What we found out instead was that I had a pretty sick tummy and I kinda messed up our host's front yard...twice.

Mom and Dad were plannin' to leave for Wisconsin Thursday, so we had everythin' all packed and said goodbye to our friends. We didn't get very far when I tossed my cookies all over Bella's and my travelin' spot in the back seat. (Boy, was Bella surprised!) 

As much as I'd love to share all the gross details, Mom said we aren't gonna try to make you sick, too, so I'll spare you, and cut to the chase.

Please, Release Me...

Rather than pointin' the truck toward the Georgia state line, we headed south to Blue Pearl Veterinary and Emergency Clinic in Sarasota. We got in to see the vet right away, and I got poked, prodded and ahem...examined in some private places to see if anythin' immediate showed up. 

The pretty vet tech took me in back and they stuck me with a needle to take some of my blood. When I got back to the room, she told Mom to push the emergency button on the wall if I got sick or had an accident.

Mom had to push that dang orange button FOUR times! I threw up a couple of times, but the worst part was that I was just poopin' liquid and it was all red. Mom was actually stayin' calm, but I could sense she was startin' to worry...and I was feelin' worse.

The fourth time, Dr. Fincher said it was time to get me some anti-nausea meds and an antibiotic injected, and put me on an IV right away. I looked at Mom when the doctor put my leash on to lead me away again. She petted me and said it was okay to go with the doctor, so I did. To tell the truth, I was feelin' so crummy, I didn't have any "contrary" left in reserve.
 
"Oh, I Never Felt More Like Singin' The Blues..."

I stayed at the clinic all night, gettin' round-the-clock care from the vets and their assistants. They were all really wonderful. I was sick a couple more times, but around 11 that night, I got some food and didn't throw it up or anythin'! The doctor said that was good news. 

They called Mom at 7:30 the next mornin' to tell her I could go home. She didn't waste any time comin' to get me, either.

"I Think I Feel Much Better Now"

I was really rarin' to go by the time she got there. In fact, I didn't even care if I had a blue bandage on my right leg when I saw her. I wanted to go home with her. We thanked the vets, paid a hefty bill, grabbed the bag with my medicine and special food, and left.

Bella's and My Friend, Lucy

The vet wanted us to hang around a couple of days to make sure I was on the mend, so we went back to our friend's house and broke the news to them. They were glad we came back, but their cocker spaniel, Lucy was really happy! She loves havin' company, and was actually sad when we left. It worked out for everybody!

Lucy had surgery on her back leg not too long ago, so she and I were sort of healin' up together. I was glad to keep her company, and I think she felt the same.
 
I've Definitely Got My "Sparkle" Back!
 
As it turned out, I was feelin' fit as a fiddle by Saturday (and "things" were back to normal, if you get my drift), so Mom and Dad decided we could leave on Sunday mornin'. We said our goodbyes (again) to our most gracious and generous hosts, Mr. Eric, Miss Becky and our new friend, Lucy, and turned for home.
 
I've really had enough excitement for a while, and Mom said "Enough with people gettin' sick for this year!" Dad's back to normal and now, so am I. I agree with Mom. I sure don't wanna get sick again.  

PS. It turns out, I had "clostridium deficil", caused by a bacteria. I also had an elevated yeast count in my blood that the vet said typically comes from eatin' rabbit droppin's. I couldn't possibly comment about that!
 
I'll see you again in seven. 'til then...  
"Chase A Dream - Or A Squirrel".

5 comments:

  1. So happy that things turned out okay, Tag. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tag you really “threw” us a scare. I am so thankful you are feeling better and got immediate care at the Vet’s facility. Rabbit poop does not sound good to me! YUCK!!! Happy to have you and Bella back together again...<3. Smooches my little Corgi Cutie! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy you are feeling so much better and that you all were able to head home. Watch what you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll say you've got your sparkle back. It's good to see you smiling. I've been praying hard for you. Why don't you be easy on your Mom for a little bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tag... so happy to hear you're okay! Bailey & I have been thinking of you & keeping you in our prayers. Hope you have a wonderfully 'uneventful' drive home (from this point on!). (p.s. Bailey thinks you should blame it all on the rabbit!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna