September 7, 2009

Four Plus Frog Equals Nine...

Nine-patch, that is.
I knew I had the pattern for this kit somewhere in the studio. I found it after I'd sewn all the four-patches together, only to realize that not only should they have been sewn as a snowball motif, but they were meant to be made into nine-patches as well. (sigh) I decided I wasn't going to frog all those squares and make them into snowballs first, but I would reconfigure them into the recommended 12 1/2" nine-patches.

I spent all day Sunday frogging those four-patches and by the time we were ready to go to the ballgame, I had them all disassembled. I was quite proud of myself - and the ball game kept my mind off the fact that next time I'll locate the pattern before I start sewing!

Labor Day was the perfect time for me to take all those squares and reassemble them into nine-patches for my next quilt. (I know that I haven't started the Anniversary Quilt for our master bedroom project yet, but Handsome and I have been discussing fabric and design. After all, it's his bed, too! We've almost got the details worked out, but I decided to do this kit next instead. Our anniversary isn't til December, anyway. I've got lots of time to sew on that one.)

There you have it. THIRTY nine-patch squares waiting for my next step. That's 270 squares sewn, frogged and resewn. Aren't you proud of me for even considering doing all that? (Heck, I sure am!)

I have to measure and cut the sashing next, and then the beautiful floral border. I probably won't finish this quilt before we leave for Williamsburg on Friday, but I'll have everything ready to get back to it as soon as we return. I finished the evening by turning off the lights in the studio and making a cup of tea. A real labor of love on Labor Day.
JoySignatureBROWNSM

9 friends clicked here to leave a note for me:

DeeDee said...

wow lovely fabrics you are using...this will be beautiful for real

Beth Gales said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Snap said...

I'm impressed. Frogging and resewing. I probably would have thrown my hands up, put the squares away, and gone on to something else! You Go Girl! :D Lovely colors!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love 9 patch quilts and your's looks so pretty! I can't wait to see it when it's done! Have a wonderful day. Twyla

The French Bear said...

I love them any which way you make them!!!
What is frogging? I don't think I've heard of that before!!!!
Haha, I have only made a couple of quilts so far, that could be why!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

The French Bear said...

Oh I get it, ha ha that's so cute!!!!
The needle roll and the tomato are from a book called, With these Hands by Maggie Bonanomi. I haven't ever sold one before, but I was asked to make one, so I am going to make up my own pattern and make one,.
When I make up my own pattern, I will share it with you if you want!
Hugs,
Margaret B

The French Bear said...

Oh I forgot, the acorns were my own design!!!
I will have to make you something with that acorn pattern!!!!!
I'll let you know, you can send me your address!!!!
Hugs,
MB

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Love the 9 patch, what's frogging.

Christine Edwards said...

Wow, that is indeed a laborious day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails