July 9, 2021

I'm Liking It!...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Kitchen - A Work In Progress
 
I finished painting the cabinets that were installed on Wednesday, so I can share what's been done so far. I'm really tickled with the additional storage and counter space, and I love how the color delineates this piece from the white cabinets that were installed earlier.

The countertop came with the cabinets, and is fine for now. We'll likely order a new hickory countertop (like the island), but I have other items on my list first. I'd like to get a power strip installed under the upper cabinets, as well as down lighting to brighten the work surface. I'm contemplating a stone wall treatment on the wall between the top and bottom cabinets here, too. (Think "veneer version" of what was used on our wraparound porch.)
 
Oh! The upper cabinets have the hardware that came with them, because I was short on the pull hardware that we bought. I was going to put cup pulls on the small drawers in the bottom center, but opted to use the knob pulls instead. That put me down four of the pulls I needed. I'll get more in the next week or so.

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Kitchen 

The roll-around cart under the windows is useful for now, so it will stay. The cabinet next to it is the unit I purchased because it belonged to a baker and has heavy duty pullouts for large containers of flour and sugar. I'm thinking this piece may eventually end up in the pantry, but that will stay here for now, too, and I'm deciding whether to paint it the same "London" color as the cabinets on the right, or paint it white. What do you think?
 
I'm also thinking about the overhead lighting. First of all, it bothers me that it's not centered over the island. Because there isn't central air conditioning in the farmhouse, a ceiling fan comes in handy, but not this ceiling fan. I need ventilation and lighting, so I need to put some thought and research into that. Any ideas (with links)? I'm open to suggestions. I mean. There's no rush, because I want to do it right.

Finally, this floor needs attention, too. Right now, I'm leaning toward paint. I've been reading and watching a lot of tutorials about the process, and I haven't changed my mind yet. Or perhaps luxury vinyl tile (LVT) would be good, taking the dogs and wear and tear under consideration? Again no rush. 

For now, I'm going to enjoy the latest project. Once all the dishes and cookware are put away, I can reclaim the storage they took up in the pantry. That should keep me busy for a while.

DonnaAcornSignature

9 comments:

  1. It's a pretty kitchen.
    The cabinets give it slight color, they are so pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn-
      Thanks so much. I agree.
      Hope you have a great weekend.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. All is looking so nice. I might paint the baker’s cabinet white (like your island) to separate it from the cabinets but either color would work. They are soft and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie-
      I’m leaning toward white, too! Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate them.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. It looks so pretty! I adore that wonderful colour you used. How I wish we would be allowed to paint our cabinets but apartment owners tend to frown on that sort of thing. We got 'new' cabinets when we moved here but they're just imitation oak and just manage to look cheap (which I know they were, but they don't have to look it!). At that time they were putting new cabinets in all the units as they were re-rented and they used either white or the 'oak' - had I been given a choice I would have gone with white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maggie:
      I'm so sorry you can't change your cabinetry. I think you'd have fun upscaling them to a nice crisp white. We were fortunate that these were actually high quality cabinets. The set I painted the grey-green are KraftMaid with soft-close drawers, and fully leaded glass upper doors. I'm pretty sure they're cherry, but I managed to convince Handsome that they wouldn't go with my intended theme staying that way. ;-) The baker's base cabinet is also a great piece, with heavy duty pullouts behind the bottom doors, capable of holding my 40# containers of bread flour and sugar. I'm quite sure the oak is going to be painted white. That way, if it eventually ends up in the pantry, it will fit right in. (Just thinking ahead, a bit.)
      Thanks so much for your comment. I wish I could just show up and help you change your cabinets. Sending a big hug instead.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Ahhh the joys of an older house! I have the same lighting issues. I love your new paint color. I’d say white in the baker’s cabinet too. For the record, I had LV planks in my previous house. It was a darker wood grain. The installer swore it wouldn’t scratch or show scratches, but he was wrong. I was pretty disappointed. Find someone who has it locally so you can see the wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      Then you know some of the challenges, for sure. I agree. I think that cabinet will end up white! Thanks for your review of the LV, too! The last thing I want would be to invest the time and money only to be disappointed by how they wear. Carly has one speed...puppy fast, and she digs in when she first comes out of her kennel. No matter what we do, we haven't broken her of it yet. It sounds like it wouldn't take any time at all for her to ruin the floor. ugh I'll keep my options open for now. There's certainly no hurry to decide. Thanks again!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. You have done a beautiful work! I love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna