July 8, 2021

I Just Can't Help It...

Brynwood Needleworks - Bobby Working In The Kitchen
 
I'm so excited! Our old friend from nearly forty years ago came yesterday to do a kitchen installation for us. Bobby was on our building crews for a carriage house/garage and bedroom addition in our first home in 1983. He was also on the crew that built our entire second home about five years later. We hadn't seen him since our return to Wisconsin until the day before yesterday, when we contacted him about helping with our kitchen project. 

Another aspect of our relationship with him, is that his grandfather owned our farmhouse when Bobby was a kid, and he's our neighbor, Shelly's cousin! His dad and Shelly's dad are brothers. We think it's so cool that someone who knows this home intimately, and has fond memories of being here, is back as an adult to help us with a few projects. The first part of his job here involved removing a section of the baseboard (and believe me...it was a struggle). We don't think the baseboard wanted to go!

Brynwood Needleworks - Plaster Behind The Baseboard
 
When Bob finally removed he section of baseboard, he told us that this was still original plaster behind the base and the beadboard. It was in great shape, too! Pretty cool, right?

Brynwood Needleworks - Just A Peek Today

So, what he's doing for us is installing the cabinets that I've been busy painting for nearly the past month. I love the color and how the cabinets turned out. Once they're installed, I'll be doing any needed touch up. Plus, there's a top molding for the cabinet that had to be cut to fit, so I wanted to wait until that was in place to paint it out.

I'll share the entire piece after I finish painting it later today. I'll show you what it looks like in place, and explain the other pieces in our kitchen at the same time. All in all, it was a pretty great day! Who doesn't get excited at the prospect of more counter space and storage? Not this girl. I'm over the moon! Handsome's pretty happy, too.

DonnaAcornSignature

11 comments:

  1. What a cool relationship. So fun to get upgrades and re-dos to any room in your house but especially the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin:
      Thanks so much. I like that we're making some changes in the kitchen, but I'm so mindful of the age and history of our farmhouse, and don't want to do the popular "modern farmhouse" things. I want to honor what's always been here, but add our personal twist on that. Because I spend so much time in the kitchen, I'm really happy to have real workspaces now.
      Thanks so much for your comment today!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Love the cabinets and the color! Anxious to see your completed project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dear Bonnie! It's going to happen in stages, but I'm really happy with this latest update. We'll be enjoying this setup for a while, so we can decide what more we may need to do.
      Squeee!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. What a great story about the connection between you & the worker.
    Love the cabinet color, so very soft & pretty.
    Can't wait to see more.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree! It was almost a family reunion! We had so much to catch up on while he was here. I'm sure the job took 1/3 longer because of all the visiting! lol Thanks for the comment on the color. It really is a cheerful, restful color. I'm glad we went with it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Awesome story and sneak peak of what will be a beautiful kitchen. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea!
      Thanks so much. We're going to live with this for a while now, before we decide what we might to do next. So far, this is a huge improvement for us.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I'd be excited too! Nice that not only are you getting your new cupboards, but being installed by someone with a connection to your house. Must be fun for him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      I agree. It was a great day on two fronts. We're already enjoying the benefits of the added cabinets, and I love the color it adds to the kitchen. We talked about the history between us, and his connection to the farmhouse, too. He enjoyed the little tour we gave him, mentioning how he liked that we'd preserved some things he'd remembered as a child in his grandparent's home. I loved that.
      Thanks for the note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. This is a collaboration of divine intervention. How delightful your kitchen will be with the new additions. And this color is so beautiful...soft and serene! I love everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna