August 28, 2013

Stitching My Way Home...

 I've been working on "Sunny Days" at random moments in the Flying Cloud. I
don't start until after we've "dropped the hook" for the day and we've eaten dinner.
 I traced the pattern using my Frixion™ pen this time. (It will disappear when
I iron the back of the finished pieces.) The tracing was all finished on Tuesday
evening, and then I started stitching after that. I'm further on the piece now, but
this is to show you my progress from Tuesday evening. It really trips right along!
 I basted the fabric a little crooked onto the scroll frame, but I do put tension
against the fabric when I stitch, so the design isn't stitched "puckered". It
really will lie flat when it's off the frame. (You'll see when I'm all finished.)

You may notice that I roll my fabric onto the scroll frame with the back of 
my fabric facing out on the rollers. The needlework sits inside the frame.
There's a reason for this that I'd like to share with you. If you're a seasoned
needleworker, you probably already know this, but just in case...

When you roll your fabric onto the frame (or into a hoop) with the back of 
the fabric to the outside - you'll always be handling the back of the fabric. 
This will keep your work cleaner on the front. I never eat snacks when I'm 
stitching, but believe me, when I had my shop, I saw more than a few dirty pieces
of needlework come through the doors! This is an easy way to keep things clean.

I also wash my hands first whenever I plan to sit and stitch, and because I hoop
this way, I'm always handling the back of the needlework, rather than the front.
 If you haven't tried it before, perhaps you'll give it a go.
"Here endeth the lesson. "
(hee hee)

We'll be pulling into our yard later today, and we're ready to be back home.
Tag has had enough of riding in the car, Handsome's sick of driving, and I
can't wait to get back into my studio (after we unload the Cloud, of course)!

 I love traveling, but it's always good to be back home again.
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. I load my needlework into my frame the same way. I never thought of the cleanliness aspect but do it so that the back of the work is easier to get at when I am weaving my ends in. The frame doesn't get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, welcome home. Thanks for all the wonderful blogs and sharing your trip with us. I feel like I made that trip with you and enjoyed it immensely. Grab a cup of tea and get settled in. Thanks again, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a wonderful tip to keep our stitching clean. Thank you friend. Your stitching is such a joy to view. Yes, always good to travel but even better to be back home. Happy unpacking dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a lovely time in the cloud but it is always wonderful when home is in your sights!
    I'm very particular regarding clean hands and fabric... no food in the vacinity and beverages in a designated place away from the work area... I know, I'm mean -lol- But good habits reduce the heartbreak from project accidents. Thanks for the lesson regarding hooping.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home again, home again... welcome back to your studio Donna!
    I'm like you with traveling - love it, but when it's all said and done, I am always happy to get home again.
    Your trick is new to me but makes so much sense - I will remember it next time I use my roller frame. I do make sure to keep my hands clean, but every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed following along on your trip. Thanks so much for sharing the tip about protecting your needlework from getting dirty. I have been doing embroidery for years and had not put my project into my frame that way before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna